Omega Seamaster 166.064 found in local shop. Can't decide whether to make this my first vintage.

Thread: Omega Seamaster 166.064 found in local shop. Can't decide whether to make this my first vintage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Seamaster 166.064 found in local shop. Can't decide whether to make this my first vintage.

I found this in a shop that sells all makes of vintage watches. It is from around 1970-72 and has the cal. 752 movement. I have found pictures of the same watch, though in very rough condition, that helped me to confirm it's authenticity. The dial seems to be genuine and in excellent condition. I have noticed that the chapter ring is out of alignment. Can that be remedied? The movement works well and is very clean. The strap is generic. There is not an abundance of info on this model, though it seems it is the end of the 752 cal. era. What I like is the fact that it is about 39mm. Large for vintage and it doesn't look like a postage stamp on my 7.5" wrist. I would appreciate any input or observations as this would be my first vintage. I have not purchased it yet.

Steve H.

Last edited by Odysseas; December 28th, 2011 at 03:29. Reason: spelling

Re: Omega Seamaster 166.064 found in local shop. Can't decide whether to make this my first vintage.

Very nice looking piece. Quality movement. No obvious flaws besides the chapter ring... which a watchmaker should be able to easily fix.

Where is this shop?????
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Omega Seamaster 166.064 found in local shop. Can't decide whether to make this my first vintage.

Does look nice. If you don't want it, let me know. I'll take it!!
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The shop is in South Florida. I think his asking price is way too high, though. However, the only sale of this same watch I can find was for an untouched VERY ratty example in an Aussie auction that doesn't really give me an on par comparison. My son tells me it looks like an old man's watch. I think it looks really cool. However, I restored a 1973 BMW motorcycle and my favorite stereo speakers in my vintage speaker "collection" were made in 1973. Maybe I am stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
    ... My son tells me it looks like an old man's watch. I think it looks really cool. However, I restored a 1973 BMW motorcycle and my favorite stereo speakers in my vintage speaker "collection" were made in 1973. Maybe I am stuck in the past.
    "Old mans's watch"... Hahaha!
    However it is just another sign of a probable downturn for the watch industry - not now, but in 10-15 years. I do remember how proud I was, when I got the first watch (no specific brand, must have been handwind, I don't recall much - there was a "denim" strap and luminous hands, that would glow for about 1 second in the dark, not very impressive...). Ask the kids these days, they want a *bl* *cr* phone. It will be a very hard task for marketing to install the desire for a good quality time piece in such sets of mind. Let's hope it doesn't happen. Not that I care for new watches, I don't think I will buy another new watch anymore in this life.

Banned

Yep, it is an Old Mans Watch.
    My son would not touch it!

Me?? Oh yes!!! Fabulous condition!!

Banned

I have bought Omegas on the bay, in near or mint condition. Paid around $290 or $306 delivered. Guy is in Asia and has a 99% rating with thousands of happy feet clients
    Some they repair, others are marked Excellant. Looks like they are NOS. some lately have Ben higher after bidding. But just making the bid at the right time, you can get one like that easily.

I really like this watch. Is defenitely on my list, they look even coller with the original SS bracelet. I've seen a few recently but as tomsimac says they have reached the $350 mark. Nonetheless yours is a pristine example. you will find other examples have slight lifting around the markers and date windows and will also have a polished case. Yours seems to have the original starburt finish, which I think defenitely adds up value to a collector. I'd preffer to pay up to 30% more for the same watch just for the factory finish. Regardless of the model. Given the condition I think $550 would be a fair price, but it would be even sweeter if it had the bracelet. Good luck

Its a classic design looking watch, with a great movement its like classic cars and bikes so would suit you.

I came to the exact conclusion as PMONTOYAP. Unfortunately the seller is still in a different ball park. Maybe if he sits on it a while longer. My sons idea of whats in or out is as fickle as the wind. He's 27 and works in the police department. When I bought an Omega SMP he went out and bought one 3 hours later. He did the same with the previous watch I bought. If I end up with this I bet he'll be looking for one within hours. 20 years ago I bought a 1986 Mercedes SDL. I kept it to let him have it for his first car. He didn't want it - not cool. Now he looks at them and says he'd like to get one and restore it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information