Omega Seamaster 2990 (not Ranchero)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sgk

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2990 (not Ranchero)

sgk

Omega Seamaster 2990 (not Ranchero)

Hi guys,
    I posted this over at the Omega forum, but I thought the Vintage forum would also like to chime in with their thoughts.So, I came across this Omega Seamaster and my curiosity was aroused by the broad-arrow type hands

The sellers description said it is a ref 2990 which I thought belonged to the Ranchero. Franken right?

Well, I think this may indeed be a ref 2990 Seamaster. Bear with me here as I explain the train of thought I used to arrive at my conclusion. My initial reaction when I saw this was that it is a franken. But I thought I would take a gamble that it has a Ranchero base with a replaced dial and I can try to source a Ranchero dial for it. That way I end up owning a much coveted timepiece.

However, I also did a lot of searching on the web using the ref number against a Seamaster. I have seen some which are Peruvian Air Force issue Seamasters or some with obvious redials with a ref 2990 case. However, I didn't find any with similar dial and broad arrow type hands. However, I finally came across this:

Courtesy: Old Omegas website

This German ad for the Railmaster and Ranchero also shows a Seamaster at the top right which matches the one I came across. The case shape seems to match the Ranchero, however, the ad states that it is gold plated whereas the one I bought is stainless steel. Another interesting fact is the Seamaster is priced higher than the Ranchero. Little did Omega know how things would change

Finally, I took some better pictures of the watch.

First of all, I am having a hard time telling if the dial has been repainted. I think it might be legit. Secondly, the tone of hands and hour markers seem to match remarkably well. Lastly, it has what seems to be a correct period ref 2990 crown and original Omega crystal. Watchadoo is selling the crown here: eBay | Original Omega Vintage 2990 Ranchero Watch Steel Crown

I personally think this Seamaster looks really cool! The hands look just awesome and the dial has the right amount of patina to give it that classic vintage look.

So, for the moment I am inclined to think that this is an all original Seamaster ref 2990. Which would then lead me to believe that this is indeed a very rare find. The definitive proof however, would be an extract of archives from Omega. But before I do that, I still wanted to know if anyone else has come across something similar. I would really appreciate any info or your opinions.

Re: Omega Seamaster 2990 (not Ranchero)

The Ranchero was pretty much a "made for the USA" model. The catalog you have there is Swiss/German. It is highly likely that Omega used the exact same case reference and handset for a Seamaster in the local market, as not many Europeans outside of Spain would understand the meaning of "Ranchero". The watch is otherwise identical to the Ranchero. And I have seen white dialled Rancheros with this font on the numerals.

Name:  2890054860_e666e1cca7.jpg
Views: 2951
Size:  222.5 KB

Unfortunately (or fortunately -- depending on your point of view), the lack of the Ranchero name on the dial reduces the value of the watch. Which is why so many of these have been redialled, or otherwise faked. Someone with a correct Ranchero dial can create a watch worth far more than the sum of its parts, so there is still value to be had here.

Anyway, in other words, I think your watch a is fully original Ref. 2990, just not a Ranchero.
    gatorcpa

sgk

Thanks gatorcpa for your valuable knowledge as always.

I would definitely prefer a fully original Seamaster with these design features, rather than a thrown together Ranchero. This will be kept as close to original as possible. I have already sent this to the watchmaker for a service. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sgk

Hi guys,
    Thought I would post an update on my Vintage Seamaster Broad Arrow. It has been serviced
    Service: Omega Seamaster calibre 267 | Watch Guy

and now on a strap as well

radger, redcow and NT931 like this.

Lovely watch, and rare, this is the first Seamaster I've saw with this hands combination.

sgk

Thanks radger!
    Indeed the hands make this one quite special and it looks much better than in my cellphone pictures. This one actually comes from France, so what gatorcpa says above may have some merit.

Well it certainly looks good in the pics and I know that they look better in the flesh
    so all in all a super codition, original and rarely seen Omega watch, they don't get much better.

Thread Information