Omega Seamaster 471 stopping randomly
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dom_
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Omega Seamaster 471 stopping randomly

HPD

Omega Seamaster 471 stopping randomly

Hi vintage forum,

I recently purchased a used and refurbished omega seamaster 471 off the bay (where I am, there aren't any decent dealers who can part with anything swiss for less than $2K). The problem started less than 48 hours on the wrist and the watch has stopped twice randomly only to start ticking again after pulling the crown out to set position and advancing hands clockwise. This has successfully got it starting both times. The problem is it seems like a real problem especially for such an old watch. The movement was "serviced" and was advertised to be working perfectly and keeping time. Accuracy isn't terrible - losing just about 30 seconds a day.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem in any watch and what is it likely to be? I'm suspecting a bad oiling job or something wrong with the escapement not lining up well. Only guessing, any help with be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Omega Seamaster 471 stopping randomly

Quote Originally Posted by HPD View Post
    Hi vintage forum,

I recently purchased a used and refurbished omega seamaster 471 off the bay (where I am, there aren't any decent dealers who can part with anything swiss for less than $2K). The problem started less than 48 hours on the wrist and the watch has stopped twice randomly only to start ticking again after pulling the crown out to set position and advancing hands clockwise. This has successfully got it starting both times. The problem is it seems like a real problem especially for such an old watch. The movement was "serviced" and was advertised to be working perfectly and keeping time. Accuracy isn't terrible - losing just about 30 seconds a day.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem in any watch and what is it likely to be? I'm suspecting a bad oiling job or something wrong with the escapement not lining up well. Only guessing, any help with be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    If it starts by you moving the hands then a hand is probably catching on another hand or sub hand.
    Apollonaught likes this.

HPD

Thanks for the response but the issue is definitely mechanical. It has stopped again in the last hour and i've made sure it isn't a hand being caught on anything.
    I've also noticed that even pulling the crown out will allow it to start ticking again. Shaking and light bumping won't get it going but as soon as that crown comes out and/or the time advanced clockwise, the watch starts ticking again. This is frustrating and i feel like i've blown 500 bucks on complete junk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does it run the complete 24 hours with the crown out,if so that eliminates it being friction when the hands cross.If NOT
    the hands will more than likely stop at the same place every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    Does it run the complete 24 hours with the crown out,if so that eliminates it being friction when the hands cross.If NOT
    the hands will more than likely stop at the same place every time.
    Most watches won't run for very long with the crown pulled out; that connects the cannon pinion to the crown, so the watch starts trying to move the crown. Few wristwatches have that kind of power.

At best, the watch is most likely just dirty. You have to expect to need to service any watch you buy used unless you know the seller well enough to trust any statement they make of "serviced".
    Apollonaught likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The trouble is that on fleabay, "refurbished" basically means that someone opened it up to shake the dust out. Unless you are dealing with professional sellers (and frequently, even with those!), the watch needs to see a professional watchmaker after purchase, never mind what the seller claims.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by HPD View Post
    Hi vintage forum,

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, its a common problem, even though 'every' watch on eBay is serviced prior to sale!! Ebay is a 'swamp' not an authorized distributer

Take your watch to a decent jeweler and get it serviced, then it will run for easily another 10 years without issue.

In 'my' opinion any different advise is fruitless

sincerely
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thankyou all,i think i have learned more than the op on this one.

Thread Information