Omega Seamaster Automatic

Thread: Omega Seamaster Automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Seamaster Automatic

Hello,
    I have this omega automatic with raised italic shape numerals.
    I decided to make a search and couldn't find nothing of the kind. Very similar,yes, but the italic shape...
    Am I facing a fake dial or is it just more rareName:  $(KGrHqEOKpwFGNTyi71mBRpvoEgtJg~~60_58.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  37.7 KBName:  $(KGrHqJHJFMFGNg9VPm4BRpvoQqmlQ~~60_58.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  44.6 KBName:  $T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojc(oBRpvoMKyvw~~60_58.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  37.7 KB
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Re: Omega Seamaster Automatic

My opinion the watch is 100% genuine. Surely movement and case.
    Dial may be a re-work, but I dont think so.
    Its actually a lovely looking watch - I like the patina on the dial.

100% genuine is my opinion
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Omega made -probably 100s-but at least dozens of variations to their premier Seamster line in the 50s when your nice 'beefy lugged' SM was made. It looks absolutley original and un touched and that is EXACTLY how I would leave it. Just get it cleaned and serviced and maybe a new leather band-or-to really sport it up look around for an 18mm Omega BOR SS bracelet if you like SS around your wrist. Forget about the 'rarity' factor. Too many of these were made and only a very few are actually 'rare'.
    Your actual rarity would more likely be determined by th ref# 2767-1 sc in the caseback which can be looked up in Omega's database. I can only tell you the 'sc' stands for 'second-centrale' or center second hand which yours has which is one indicator that the movment and case go together. Have fun researching more-but it looks like you have a collectable 50s SM

p.s. On closer inspection-I can see there is a possibility the dial was re-done -BUT-redone a very long time ago when such things were totally commonplace. I am not certain but others can look at the 'S' in seamaster and expound upon. I still think its a totally wearable Omega and everything else on the dial checks out-so it could be fine-pretty much the same opinion as above from Horo)
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 11th, 2013 at 01:37.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok guys, I've been googling like crazy trying to find out more about the "Semamaster" font type.
    It's an unglorious task! I found that at least two or three different kinds of letters can be found and maybe a pattern connected with the age of the watch.
    The letter "m" for instance, can be found in earlier examples with 3 turns and in later models with only 2 turns. Also the 1st "S" is somehow more round in earlier dials but again, not always.
    Very hard to tell especially when you find lots of good redials and an't tell anymore whats original and whats not...Name:  seamaster_52SC.JPG
Views: 696
Size:  544.1 KBName:  seamaster_52.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  62.5 KBName:  seamaster.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  381.3 KBName:  seamaster_59.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  124.4 KB
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Actually, a closer inspection indicates that the sweep second hand is not the original.
    Nothing to serious, as I've already order the correct one from Otto Frei.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    My opinion the watch is 100% genuine. Surely movement and case.
    Dial may be a re-work, but I dont think so.
    Its actually a lovely looking watch - I like the patina on the dial.

100% genuine is my opinion
    Regards
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Cool
    Actually to be honest I never even noticed the sweep seconds hand, I only checked the face and hour/minute hands

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Alvaropinto,

The interesting part is, that you will never be able to find a 'font' simply because none was used for that purpose;
    Regarding the 'Seamaster' and specific trademarks in general, these were hand designed in 10:1 scale and later transferred to the master die for printing by pentograph.
    Over the years endless models were made, some letters had their design modified to be more contemporary such as the S in Seamaster and the fact it is inconsistent only strengthen the fact there is no such font.

The CAPS "font" however, such as the one used in OMEGA, OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED etc. is also common in probably 85% of all texts and brand names in pre 70s Swiss watches and relies on the CopperPlate family of fonts, which is traditional to the Swiss horological industry since the early 20s. It can be found in variations of thickness, spacing and height and some letters, such as the A, M and S are slightly modified from the traditional font.

As a dial restoration person with product/graphic design background, I can attest from my experience that there are several '2nd level' points you would check on a dial to make sure it is authentically printed, on top of the '1st level DYI common rules' that everyone knows. I can probably write a book about this subject but lack time to enhance so if you have specific questions feel free to ask them.

Laughing Re: Omega Seamaster Automatic

Hi Eldarinn (I wish I knew your name),
    thanks for your professional appraisal and very interesting information. I was just wondering if this dial was subject of any kind of restoration. I must confess that this kind of discussion concerning horological history and footsteps of a such a personal object as a wristwatch fascinates me!
    Greetings from Portugal to Israel (where I have some good friends).
    Quote Originally Posted by eldarinn View Post
    Alvaropinto,

The interesting part is, that you will never be able to find a 'font' simply because none was used for that purpose;
    Regarding the 'Seamaster' and specific trademarks in general, these were hand designed in 10:1 scale and later transferred to the master die for printing by pentograph.
    Over the years endless models were made, some letters had their design modified to be more contemporary such as the S in Seamaster and the fact it is inconsistent only strengthen the fact there is no such font.

The CAPS "font" however, such as the one used in OMEGA, OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED etc. is also common in probably 85% of all texts and brand names in pre 70s Swiss watches and relies on the CopperPlate family of fonts, which is traditional to the Swiss horological industry since the early 20s. It can be found in variations of thickness, spacing and height and some letters, such as the A, M and S are slightly modified from the traditional font.

As a dial restoration person with product/graphic design background, I can attest from my experience that there are several '2nd level' points you would check on a dial to make sure it is authentically printed, on top of the '1st level DYI common rules' that everyone knows. I can probably write a book about this subject but lack time to enhance so if you have specific questions feel free to ask them.
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Oi caro amigo,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I forgot to mention that issue as well. There are two parts to that answer.

Regarding the applied Italic numerals (with specific reference to this design):
    These were first introduced by GRUEN in the early 30s, first in their pocket watches models and later in Curvex/Veri-Thin models.
    Later they became popular in other Swiss brands sold mainly in the US market, since the dial makers were a sub contractor company and trademarks and copyright were far from where they are today, to say the least, the design was offered to other makers. This is however, a distinctive Swiss design. You will not find such numerals on pre 40s Elgin/Waltham/Hamilton wrist watches.

Not sure you are aware but these are made in solid gold, normally 18K and are applied to the dial with two pins per number by pressure.
    The placement of 'feet' below the number is unique per character and also unique per design so there is absolutely no way that they do not belong there,
    hence this is certainly one genuine Omega dial when it comes to those numerals and I did see that model in particular and others by Omega using such characters.

As for the printed part (whatever it is in black that you see):
    At this resolution presented it does look all original but I cannot determine 100% from that distance.
    If you scan a hi res image I can say for sure. But it does look all legit to me.

It looks like you have some Brazilian friends!
    This discusion as been here for a while now and it seems that the general opinion leads to the same conclusion(original dial). I will try to get some closeup images still.
    PS - Where are you from in Israel?
    Quote Originally Posted by eldarinn View Post
    Oi caro amigo,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I forgot to mention that issue as well. There are two parts to that answer.

Regarding the applied Italic numerals (with specific reference to this design):
    These were first introduced by GRUEN in the early 30s, first in their pocket watches models and later in Curvex/Veri-Thin models.
    Later they became popular in other Swiss brands sold mainly in the US market, since the dial makers were a sub contractor company and trademarks and copyright were far from where they are today, to say the least, the design was offered to other makers. This is however, a distinctive Swiss design. You will not find such numerals on pre 40s Elgin/Waltham/Hamilton wrist watches.

Not sure you are aware but these are made in solid gold, normally 18K and are applied to the dial with two pins per number by pressure.
    The placement of 'feet' below the number is unique per character and also unique per design so there is absolutely no way that they do not belong there,
    hence this is certainly one genuine Omega dial when it comes to those numerals and I did see that model in particular and others by Omega using such characters.

As for the printed part (whatever it is in black that you see):
    At this resolution presented it does look all original but I cannot determine 100% from that distance.
    If you scan a hi res image I can say for sure. But it does look all legit to me.
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information