Omega Seamaster DeVille (~'73) Servicing Question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Omega Seamaster DeVille (~'73) Servicing Question

Omega Seamaster DeVille (~'73) Servicing Question

Hi, friends. I'm a long-time member of WUS, but don't get over to this area much. My dad gave me his Omega Seamaster DeVille last Christmas. My mom gave it to him for their wedding in 1973, so I assume it was purchased new around that time.

Since the crown had been lost, and my dad hadn't worn it since I was a kid, I was sure it was time for a service. I took the watch to an independent vintage watch dealer for servicing in June. When I dropped it off, I remember the owner saying the new crown would be an Omega crown. However, when I got it back, the one they installed is unsigned. Did Omega make signed and unsigned crowns for Seamasters from this era? Can anyone tell me if this crown is aftermarket or not?

My bigger question is about the crown operation. It pulls out to 2 positions like I am used to with date complications. However, the crown disengages when in the third position (fully extended) and does nothing. The time and date can only be set in the second position in one direction (second hand doesn't hack and date is not quickset?), and turning the crown in the opposite direction feels like it is reversing the movement (bad idea!). The movement hand winds normally in the first position (fully depressed).

This may be just my inexperience with a watch of this vintage. And once I set the time and date (finally), it seems to be running fine (though it loses a couple seconds ever few hours).

Are these things normal for a 40 year old watch even after servicing? The final problem is a nick in the new crystal by the 8 marker. I have emailed and texted the shop owner, but have received no reply (also disturbing).

I would appreciate your thoughts. It really is a beautiful watch.

Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Omega Seamaster DeVille (~'73) Servicing Question

I own a 1972 Seamaster that is quick set for both day and date, I am sure that this model should set the date at the first position, and time at the second.
    Your repairman should fit a new crystal free of charge, if you are sure it happened before you took charge of it.
    Omegas of this vintage should have a signed crown, with the omega logo.
    Fullers1845 likes this.

Hi there,

the crown should look like on this watch:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...sau&1100707264
    The watch was made between 1966 and 1969. It has a quickset date: Changing between both outer crown positions should advance the date each time you pull the crown. Unfortunately the quickset lever is pretty sensitive. It will not break by operation, but wrongly mounted by a heavy-handed repair guy will kill it. The part is still available, unfortunately at a prohibitive price. But you can still set the date by setting the hands forth and back between 21 and 24h.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; August 4th, 2014 at 00:00.
    kazrich likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like my repair was botched. It's disappointing, because I really liked the guy in person, and would be happy to work with him to make it right.

I guess I'll hang onto it as is for awhile and find an Omega certified watchmaker next time to get it fixed and the correct crown installed.

Cheers! James

I don't know about setting the date by going between 21 & 24 hr because it makes the second hand stop. Will that hurt the movement or is it like a Seiko 7S26 that "back hacks"?

Cheers! James

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    I don't know about setting the date by going between 21 & 24 hr because it makes the second hand stop. Will that hurt the movement or is it like a Seiko 7S26 that "back hacks"?
    Don't worry, it will not hurt the watch. The predecessor of the movement is exactly the same, except the quikset feature. So it is designed to set the date this way.

You can only blame the watchmaker if he asked the price for an original crown, and mounted an unsigned, and refering the quickset, only if this worked well before servicing.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks, Roland. That gives me some peace of mind.

Cheers! James

Thread Information