Omega Seamaster - real or fake?

Thread: Omega Seamaster - real or fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Seamaster - real or fake?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have just bought a late 1950s Omega Seamaster automatic from ebay. I receiving the watch something immediately struck me as "not right". I have a 1960's Constellation and you know from the look and feel that it is 100% genuine.

But when I took this Seamaster out of the packaging it felt lighter than I would have expected and looked too perfect. It was meant to have a refurbished dial etc. so maybe that has just taken the old feel from it. But if you can comment or give me suggestions of what I should check I would appreciate it.

It looks just "too new" and I see that the side of the stainless steel case is polished but the bit in between the lugs is not! This is not what I would have expected from Omega- is this normal for a Seamaster?

(P- showed the polished part)

Also the base case has a black substance visible- is this a seal or a gasket?

How do I open the back? It is a screw off back or does it pop off like normal backs?

Thanks for any advice that you can give as I feel that there is something fishy with it.

Re: Omega Seamaster - real or fake?

The anomalies on the case are from Buffing the case, the person missed cleaning up between the lugs while refinishing/ restoring the watch case. The substance in the rim of the case back looks like liquid sealant or residue from buff.
    The case-back screws off with a watch case wrench.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks like a squashed gasket, probably hasn't been replaced with a new one and is old and mis-shapen.

Re: Send it back!!!

A good tip, send it back to the seller. Do not put some energy into this. It does not look good in my eyes.

Regards

Anders

Hi Joe,

1) Never buy an old watch without movement pic.
    2) Never ever buy an old watch with black dial and without movement pic.
    3) Never never never ever buy an old Omega watch with black dial and without movement pic.

As visible in your pics, the case was seriously damaged by corrosion, and a tinker
    smoothed out the deep corrosion holes by grinding and polishing. No need to open
    the back; a pristine movement is scarcely found in a rusty can, even not if the rust
    was removed.

If there is a chance to return it, better take the chance.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

pej

prolly be a franken - most black dialed ones are.

99% change its not an original dial. Gold markers with white lettering? Doesnt look original to me. Usually the lettering would come in gold or silver on a black dial.

Its definitely a redial and whtehr or not the movemnt is in decent shape or not you could have checked by a watchmaker. I think whther you return itot not depends on what you expected and what you paid for it. If you expected a redialed watch in half decent but not perfect shape and didnt pay too much more than $200 bucks then you could be fine. If it runs well with an Omega movment and you like how it looks and the redial dosnt bother you (many guys arent bothered by a redial while some are). If you paid much more then this I would say you are entitled to expect a little more and then should consider a return.

Many start out their vintage collecting with a redialed 'franken' and whther or not you keep this should strictly be decided on how much you like the watch and how much you think you will wear it. (assuming its running)
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 24th, 2011 at 03:45.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Hi DaBaeker,

don't understand me wrong: I've nothing against a redial if the original is terrible.
    With my "Never never ever...." I just wanted to keep my post short.

1) A black dial is an indicator for lowest expense for the redial.
    2) A case where all contours except the rust holes under the edge of the back are
    polished away is another indicator for lowest expense for the case face lifting.
    3) The pink gold plating of Omega movements is kown as senstive against almost
    everything, and I can't expect that the seller did here more than lowest expense,
    nothing though, because invisible.

And if all three facts apply, I can only believe it is a made-up zombie.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Cheers Guys, I was actually waiting for a few months for a black faced model, with these hands, the embosed back, etc. to come up. I much prefer the black face to any other colour. So why are black faces to be avoided?
    The watch is running and keeps perfect time and the seller did post up a photo of the mechanism:

Name:  !CCF96e!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKo4E0WWw-6LiBNKDkm!C2Q~~_3.JPG
Views: 5123
Size:  119.0 KB

But when I hold the watch and look at it, there is something that tells me that it is not old, something not right. So who is to say that the photo that he posted was from this watch or not. Or maybe the refurb has taken that aithentic feel away from it.
    I paid €315 for it so that is 427 USD.

I would like to open it up and make sure that it's innards are genuine. But maybe I should just contact the seller and see if it can be returned. I just have a funny feeling. Pity as I was looking forward to owning a Seamaster exactly like this.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information