Omega Speedmaster 861
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Omega Speedmaster 861

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Speedmaster 861

I am the original owner of an Omega Speedmaster 861 Pro that was given to me in the early 70's.
    Just had it opened for the first time and I am confused about the date on the case vs. the serial #.
    Case # 145022
    ST 71
    17 jewels
    Serial # 32642971
    How can the case be earlier than the movement that all threads indicate to be 1973?
    Is this a "transitional watch" that used leftover cases? Is the 71 at the end of the serial # the year of manufacture?
    Thanks

Re: Omega Speedmaster 861

Serial 32xxxxxx is for 1970-1971

32642971 is this movement or case serial? What's movements serial?
    Chaos is my focus

The case could have been a left over that received a movement later on, but I'm more likely to suspect one or the other did not come with the watch? A caseback would be very easy to switch maybe even by accident if a service person had a bunch lined up servicing them all at the same time. Do you have any pictures of the watch?

Edit: depending on which serial database you're referencing, this might be fine as well. Pictures would still be helpful, but especially if you've had the watch its entire life, I wouldn't worry.
    Last edited by gophishin; February 10th, 2016 at 20:55.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement has a correct serial, the number inside the case (145.022) is a REFERENCE number- NOT a serial!
    Omega stopped using case serial numbers at about the same time as Tissot, in the 1940s.
    If you have received the watch as a brand new piece back then, straight from a shop, with box and papers, what is there to worry about?
    I would dismiss the 71 at the end of the movement serial as a coincidence. The movement serial just stands for the amount of watches produced (in case of Omega and Tissot, at least).
    WatchFred likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

The serial # 32642971 is on the movement,but every web site I have looked at indicates 1973. Frankly, I cant remember if it was given to me in '71 or '73. I didn't realize the value and after a couple years I just threw it in a box for 40+ years (dumb). I will try to post some pics.
    Thanks for the reply

I did get it new,but being "brain dead", I can't remember what year it was. In my 2011 post I thought that it was for my wedding in 1969, but the serial numbers "blew my bubble" (I just had it opened yesterday to see). I did not realize the value and it was too heavy, so I stopped wearing it after a couple years. I did have it cleaned about 30 years ago, but the jeweler was to small to have another one lying around to switch the movement. I'll try some pics.
    Thanks for the input.

Speedmaster101 Serial Quick Reference To -78 | Speedmaster101 indicates some overlapping during this period. I think it's okay, especially considering you're the original owner.

Swapping the movement? Good that you didn't do that. Cleaned 30 years ago... So it's twenty-something years overdue for service.

One piece of advice- NEVER bring your watch to a jeweller!
    Name:  Grumpy_Cat_No.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  35.5 KB
    They might be good with fixing a solid gold, platinum or silver case, a bent lug, or any other issue with the case. But trusting them with repairing a movement is a good example of a bad idea. There of course are jewellers who are also skilled watchmakers, but finding one like that is nearly impossible.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

^+1

I glanced over the part about 'swapping' a movement. The value in that watch is in it's originality. Get it cleaned, oiled, adjusted, and keep enjoying!

I spoke to the Miami Boutique and they felt that it was not unusual to to match an "overproduced" case to a later movement. I still can't get a consensus on the date of the movement with a # 32642971.
    I am attaching 3 pics.,but its only showing one(confusing app).Name:  IMG_0107.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  1.65 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and DragonDan like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information