Omega with strange dial - Cal 562
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tomcat1960

Thread: Omega with strange dial - Cal 562

Omega with strange dial - Cal 562

Hi guys!

New to the forum here. I'm currently looking at an Omega automatic caliber 562, most likely a Seamaster.
    It's for sale in my country, Belgium, but I have some doubt. Although the guy seems nice but I'm still waiting for the serial number.

According to Omegawatches.com this caliber was used in mostly Seamasters and some Deville's.
    But the one for sale has a 'strange' dial: it only features the Omega sign, the name Omega and automatic.
    Please have a look: Magnifique omega calibre 562 pour connaisseur, Bijoux et montres, Vielsalm | Kapaza.be

Now I'm wondering what's up with this watch. Is it genuine or not?
    I have some extra pics too, let me add them.

Thanks everyone!

Elias

Re: Omega with strange dial - Cal 562

Welcome to WUS/F11 - a wise move to come here and ask

The 562 was Omega's household automatic date movement during the first half of the 1960s and was used, obviously, not only in Sea Masters and 'some deVilles' (I doubt that anyone at omegawatches.com knows what a deVille really is ). Omega used the 562 also in unnamed Automatics - of which Omega had quite a few, even after they had introduced their entry-level 'Geneve' range. (In the 1960s, by the way, an Omega 'Geneve' was far from being entry-level - the designation 'Geneve' afforded only to watches made at least 50% within the Geneva city limits.)

Seamasters (and early deVilles) were kind of 'sporty' watches, meant to be water resistant, shock-proof etc. Not everyone wanted such a 'chunky' watch in the 1960s - in fact, dressier, smaller, more elegant watches were much in favor at the time. Because they were not meant to withstand the same kind of challenges like the sporty Seamaster, they could be slimmer, with thin bezels surrounding comparatively big dials. Such a watch is it that you show us.

As I see it, everything is genuine on that one. If you buy it, afford it a decent service by a good watchmaker and use it as it was intended to be used (i.e., keep it away from water or hard hits) and you will be able to enjoy it for decades.

Good luck!

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Hi Tomcat!

Thanks for the welcome, mein Freund. While owning a Seamaster myself, I still haven't got the different Omega models and ranges figured out :D
    Do you know a decent site that I can use to determine what type of Omega I'm dealing with?

And last but not least, what do you value this piece? It's for sale for 230 euros but I know a service (locally, unofficially) costs 90 to 120 euros...
    I often get 'bored' of my watches, so I always keep the resale value in mind.

Thanks a lot

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can find some info here, searching by various filters: OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

The easiest is to look for the reference number on the inner side of backplate and enter it in the search box
    Chaos is my focus

Hi there. We don't put a price here. There is a sticky thread about this. The best choice is too check completed listings on ebay to get an idea. However the price you pay is actually how much is worth to you. If you like it then 50 euros -/+ shouldn't be a decisive point.
    as for the model.. if you got the serial number you can check it here: OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

Thanks for the replies!
    I used omegawatches.com already and it's been both helpful and unhelpful :D

Dang, should've read the rules first. I believe that's the reason why some many ask for a valuation, because it''s so difficult as it depends on a lot of undeterminable factors.
    Well, I've sent the owner a trade request -as I'm low on cash- so we'll see if he agrees!

Quote Originally Posted by EliasEliasElias View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    I used omegawatches.com already and it's been both helpful and unhelpful :D

Dang, should've read the rules first. I believe that's the reason why some many ask for a valuation, because it''s so difficult as it depends on a lot of undeterminable factors.
    Well, I've sent the owner a trade request -as I'm low on cash- so we'll see if he agrees!
    Hey man seeing as you are from Belgium you should really check out some of my listings (to be found here iin the sales forum) I am sure we can work something out.
    To be quite frank I wouldn´t buy that watch. The case looks to be in poor shape as well as the markers on the dial.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

I've asked the seller if he wanted to trade, but still haven't received an awnser!
    So for now, I'm just going to continu saving for my grail! ;)

Thread Information