Thread: Omega train skeleton watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator German Watches Forum

Omega train skeleton watch

I saw this skeleton watch on eBay. I found the train engraving
    interesting.

The seller listed it as 1923 Omega, and states the movement
    decoration is a student exercise. I don't know about all that,
    but it is interesting. The size is 57mm x 70mm x 10mm.

The eBay sale has closed. Here is the link.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Omega train skeleton watch

Seller from Ukraine?! About the only thing that's Omega about it is the movement (old PW movement), the rest - including the skeletizing - is invariably modern.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Seller from Ukraine?! About the only thing that's Omega about it is the movement (old PW movement), the rest - including the skeletizing - is invariably modern.

Hartmut Richter
    Agree... The link takes you to the item... there some others for sale (differing patterns) below... from sellers in the Ukraine!

OMEGA SKELETON WITH MERMAIDS SWISS ANTIQUE WRIST WATCH | eBay

Mens RARE 1913 OMEGA Vintage SKELETON Watch with DRAGON | eBay

Plus a bunch more!

Ok, its interesting to look at (if thats what you like).... but why spend that much on a butchered watch? Madness IMO
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Forgot to mention... Its horrid!

Plus... why spend all that time chopping up a watch, just to stick on a badly cut out Omega symbol....
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned

At least the Ukrainians are starting to be a little bit more creative.

fake as obvious as it is
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    At least the Ukrainians are starting to be a little bit more creative.
    Sorry, but I disagree! Its not Creative... its adaptive! If they were making them from sheet metal and branding them with their own name, fine! But they are adapting original swiss made Omega watches and selling them as originals..

I think its wrong. I dont think I would mind as much if they were clearly stating these are original (maybe?) omega pocket watches or parts put togethter by Dymtro and have then been adapted "SKELETONIZED" yeaterday.

Without saying so, they imply these are original, Omega made, Skeleton watches... I bet some people have had some nasty shocks when taking them to their local jeweller.... especially if they paid $1000+

I dont know why, but this has bothered me!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This doesn't bother me as much as it may others. Recasing an old pocket watch movement into a wristwatch to me is better than simply throwing away the movement. If someone wants to be creative and decorate the movement like that someone else may like it and wear it - again the old movement is being used by someone instead of simply being tossed. I personally would rather not have it skeletonized. I would prefer to see a nicely serviced and restored movement, but others may like the new decoration...

But I will say that the engraving isn't done all that well. Not that I could do any better, but some of those close-up pictures look very rough. They really should practice on some scraps of sheet metal first...

Ok, they should definitely remove the Omega symbols and sell them as originals( or mention they have been remade and only incorporate What ever brand of watch Movement they butcher). The engraving work is not all that bad..I have seen better, but that would be Faberge or Tiffany Co. so the Ukrainian "Watch artists" are getting very duplicitous, I say Wait a year for them to work out the kinks and then buy a pretty good skeletonized watch !!! Peel off what ever they put for a logo on there and keep it Sterile.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; May 7th, 2011 at 18:41.
    Janne likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree! Its not Creative... its adaptive! If they were making them from sheet metal and branding them with their own name, fine! But they are adapting original swiss made Omega watches and selling them as originals..

I think its wrong. I dont think I would mind as much if they were clearly stating these are original (maybe?) omega pocket watches or parts put togethter by Dymtro and have then been adapted "SKELETONIZED" yeaterday.

Without saying so, they imply these are original, Omega made, Skeleton watches... I bet some people have had some nasty shocks when taking them to their local jeweller.... especially if they paid $1000+

I dont know why, but this has bothered me!
    I think you misunderstood my post. In the past, all they did was to solder 4 lugs to the PW case, and possibly paint some crazy symbol on the dial.
    Usually with a German WW2 connection.

This one, at least, has some extensive work done to it. Low quality and crude, but I guess the worker is still learning.

Butchery - yes. Fake? Yes, it is a fake wrist watch, but I believe it started as an old PW movement ( from Omega?) .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information