Omega Vintage, Need Help

Thread: Omega Vintage, Need Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Vintage, Need Help

Can anyone help me figure out the model and time period for this watch? It belonged to my grandfather who died in 1971. My guess is 50's-60's? When did Omega make their first automatics? This is an auto as you can see. Also on the back, it notes 10k gold. Do you think this would be sought after? Has some scratches but not bad. Runs very accurate but the reserve seems like only 8-12 when not worn. Thanks for any help!

Matt

Re: Omega Vintage, Need Help

Pics of the back and especially of the insides would tell us more. But the dating to the 50's or 60's seems reasonable.

I suspect the watch does not have a lot of power reserve (how long it lasts without winding) because it needs cleaning. You should not use the watch without having it cleaned and lubricated if it is dirty as it will 'accelerate wear'.

You can look on eBay for what one would sell for at the cheap end. There are a number of places that will fix them up and sell them for the higher end... they usually have their own web sites (search for 'vintage omega' or something like that).

If I were you, I would treasure the watch. I wish I had my grandfather's watch. And it is a very nice watch too!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks very much for your reply. I did search the Bay for something similar but came up empty. The back is SS, with 10k inscribed but no numbers on the outside. It is indeed special but I had never given it much attention.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply. I did search the Bay for something similar but came up empty. The back is SS, with 10k inscribed but no numbers on the outside. It is indeed special but I had never given it much attention.
    here are 3 current auctions that show watches somewhat similar to yours:

A Seamaster DeVille, similar DeVille w/black dial, a stainless Seamaster.

We need pics of what you can show, if possible, to refine what we can say.

Spend a hundred bucks on it and get it serviced. Then you will have, at the minimum, done your part to save a family heirloom.

Thinking about your watch got me thinking about my heirloom watch. I think I will honor our election of a new president with it's first wearing (for me). Uncle Jim would like that.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Your Omega is a beauty! Great combination, Roman numerals, black dial and gold case!.
    Limited $$ value, great Heirloom value!!

f you post a pic of the movement, with the numbers visible, the Experts can narrow down when it was made to a few years!

Its great to have a heirloom watch from your family. My dad gave me my grandfathers old bulova a few months ago that i will have serviced and stored soon. I know it has a $$ value but its worth far more then that to me. My other grandfather has a omega that he got back in the 60's that he still wears today.

Guys, thanks very much for the feedback and advice. I think I will have the back removed to record the numbers.

Matt

Banned

A pic too, we like pics !!!
    You know, A pic tells more than a thousand words! Or as in my case, more than 2542 posts!!

I did find some small numbers inscribed on the back of the case (very small) which I did not previously see. 5-3-814. Not sure if this an Omega # or something that was added to it after a service or repair.

Quote Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
    I did find some small numbers inscribed on the back of the case (very small) which I did not previously see. 5-3-814. Not sure if this an Omega # or something that was added to it after a service or repair.
    Anything Omega put on it would be clearly stamped into the caseback on one or both sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information