Omega vintage watch -- fake or authentic...

Thread: Omega vintage watch -- fake or authentic...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Omega vintage watch -- fake or authentic...

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, so my questions may look a bit naive... Anyway, I love the Omega brand (not sure why, but that would be the topic of another discussion), so I decided to look for a watch, a vintage one. There is one that I'd like to consider, which looks great for a 50+ year old watch. Actually, that's where my suspicions started - could a watch that age look so good?

There is no visible corrosion or degradation of the metal of the mechanism - which, I assume, is not made of gold or platinum, so half a century should have done some deterioration to it. The dial is white and pretty much spotless, too. I know the Swiss know how to bake porcelain, but still...

And, most of all, when did Omega start putting "Swiss made" at the bottom of the dial? This one does NOT have it (see the pics below).

Could it be a fake one?

Thanks!

Name:  Omega_2.JPG
Views: 3823
Size:  27.2 KBName:  Omega_3.JPG
Views: 3413
Size:  10.2 KBName:  Omega_1.JPG
Views: 3358
Size:  5.5 KBName:  Omega_4.JPG
Views: 3684
Size:  12.5 KB

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Omega vintage watch -- fake or authentic...

The hands don't look correct, and the dial looks like it has been refinished. The serial 10 xxx xxx would put the date of manufacture right around 1944. I am going to move this to the vintage forum, you will get more replies there.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Banned

It might be authentic Omega parts, but it isn't in original condition as it left the Omega Factory in Bienne. The lack of SWISS or SWISS MADE at the bottom is usually a good tip that the dial had been refinished. At best, that's the only issue - at worst, it's a frankenwatch (assembled from parts that fit together & work but weren't intended to be used on the same model watch by the manufacturer).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pej

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    It might be authentic Omega parts, but it isn't in original condition as it left the Omega Factory in Bienne. The lack of SWISS or SWISS MADE at the bottom is usually a good tip that the dial had been refinished. At best, that's the only issue - at worst, it's a frankenwatch (assembled from parts that fit together & work but weren't intended to be used on the same model watch by the manufacturer).
    I don't agree.
    Omega made watches in the '40s that didn't contain 'swiss made' or 'swiss' on the dial (see pic below). Most of the 30.10 models didn't, and a simpler watch like this could lack it aswell.
    The hands look fine to me - I have several '40s Omega watches with this type of hands, the so called 'leaf hands'. They are typical for the 1940's Omega's.
    The logo and writing on the dial matches the '40s, and I wouldn't be surprized if it is original.
    Could you post a picture of the entire watch dial on here? That would help.

The 16 jewel movement is a cal. 30T2, also known as 260-5, mainly used in military ww2 watches.

Looks legit to me.

this is my 1945-46 cal. 30.10:
    Last edited by pej; November 15th, 2010 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by pej View Post
    I don't agree.

Looks legit to me.

this is my 1945-46 cal. 30.10:
    here's my 40s dial. (oh-but it does have the 'swissmade' but i have one that doesnt as well
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Imo the dial looks to be refinished and the hands are original but from a bumper not for this type.
    A complete dial pic would help.
    I have a few bumpers with the same hands. Most 30T2 Omega's I've seen use a different type of hands.
    But it's a great looking watch.

cheers

Here is the picture of Ref. 2348 from the Omega Vintage Database:

No "Swiss Made" on this one either. I believe that not all Omegas had this writing on the dial during the 1940's and early 1950's. I have a bumper automatic Omega Chronometre without it on the dial.

The logo and style of the number shown looks correct to me. However, a quick Google search shows a couple of more Ref. 2348 examples with more military style dials like the one above.

I'm going to have to say it may be original or maybe not.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thank you all for your opinions! The missing "Swiss" or "Swiss made" made me paranoid first, but then someone who sells vintage Omegas told that many 1940's Omega watches didn't have that (Pej, DaBaekek, GatorCPA - thanks for confirming that, too).

I'm going to post pics of the whole dial here. The dial does look very good, and that's what made me think that it's been refinished, although the seller said it was "unrestored [and] in near mint great original condition".

Anyway, here's the punch line, which is kind of embarrassing. I found this watch through the Swiss eBay (the one ending with dot-ch). Did everything right (I thought), bid way higher than the current highest bid... and I still got outbid on the last seconds. So, I managed to miss this opportunity. People say that experience is what one gets when the desired result isn't achieved - experience is all I got so far. I enjoyed it though. I'm sure I'll still get one I really like. Where would you recommend to look (besides ebay)? I was in Zurich 2 years ago - VERY expensive city. The least expensive men's Omega watch I saw, and which I would wear, was around CHF 3,000 (about the same as USD - $3,000), which a bit out of my price range right now. But I like vintage ones - they carry history.

P.S. Having problems with uploading photos. Will try again in the morning from work PC - it worked from there last time.

OK, the "Insert Image" button just doesn't seem to work right, but here are some pics of the watch in the attachments. As you can see the dial looks pretty good for a 1944-47 watch being in the "original" condition (per seller). I guess I'll never know for sure, but if there was a way to know if it's original, it'd be an excellent reference image for my quests in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To really rely on a vintage watch to be authentic, You must either have

- a complete record of the watch with old catalogue pictures, box, papers
    - a watch so common and cheap that noone would bother
    - a total wreck, found in the deepest depths of a drawer at a garage sale

I wouldn't trust any of the watches shown in this thread has an original dial by just looking at them (which does not mean they are not). I like the watch, if the dial really has been redone, it seems to be professional work. I have even seen "holy grails" offered with horrible repaints, and they did sell...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast