Omega Watch ID

Thread: Omega Watch ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Watch ID

I originally posted this in Omega forum:

"I just got this as a present from my brother. Serial number is in the 10,000,000s so looks like 1944-47. It is 35mm with 17mm lugs and 9.3mm thick.

Tried googling pics but did not find a match.

Lmk if you need more pics. I don't want to open back if I don't have to.

Anybody know about it? Model? Movement?"

[Edit: Looks like link broken so replicated info here]

But no responses yet, so I thought I would post here. Just not sure where the experts are. Hope that's ok.

Mods feel free to merge if it is better in one of the forums.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by rreimer91; November 22nd, 2018 at 04:55.

Re: Omega Watch ID

That single photo isn't enough to say much. It is probably a 30T2 or cal 26x movement, but there's really no point in guessing the caliber or reference, especially since without photos, most of the information posted in the forum tends to be incorrect anyway. So please show photos of the movement and the inside of the case-back. And while you're at it, photos of the crown and the case from various angles would be helpful. Help us to help you.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    That single photo isn't enough to say much. It is probably a 30T2 or cal 26x movement, but there's really no point in guessing the caliber or reference, especially since without photos, most of the information posted in the forum tends to be incorrect anyway. So please show photos of the movement and the inside of the case-back. And while you're at it, photos of the crown and the case from various angles would be helpful. Help us to help you.
    Thanks for tips on info needed. I generally don't deal with vintage watches.

Here's a pic of crown and back:

Any suggestions on how to open back without messing up edge? Pocket knife?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you look around the edge, you will see a "slot" which is the place to insert a small sharp blade. It's just one place where the edge of the case-back has been slightly altered to leave a tiny gap. Look carefully, because it could be behind a lug. If you don't have a case knife, any small knife or blade will do. Some people will even use the blade of a utility knife. As you insert it, the back will generally just pop off, but you might need to use the blade slightly as a lever.

Thanks. I looked at youtube videos. I could not find the slot. I don't want to mark it up. So I'll take it to watchmaker on Friday to open it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Understood. The gap can be hard to see, especially if it's behind a lug or near the crown. Take plenty of photos when the case is open. If it's convenient, measure the diameter of the movement in mm. If it is a 30T2 (30mm) movement as I suspect, the caliber will be marked on the base plate under the balance, so it can be a bit hard to see and photograph. In the attached photo, the movement is a caliber 30T2 PC, which is the shock protected variant of a 30T2. But it's hard to see the "30" very well.

There will also be an imprint and numbers on the inside of the case-back, and make sure you take clear photos. Those numbers may be useful.

Name:  30t2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  119.0 KB

Unfortunately the dial is reprinted. Watch is probably powered by a 26x or a 30T2 as already mentioned above, please report the numbers engraved inside the caseback once you will have it opened so that we can find the correct reference of this model.

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    Unfortunately the dial is reprinted.
    Come on ... are you sure? I think this is the famous prototype invisible tritium dial from 1945.

[Yes, obviously a re-dial ... goes without saying. The font is totally wrong, the minute markers are misaligned, and the "T"s on the bottom of the dial indicate tritium lume. Not only is there no lume on the dial, but tritium wasn't used until roughly 15 years later. If the dial originally had lume, it would have been radium-based.]

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Come on ... are you sure? I think this is the famous prototype invisible tritium dial from 1945.

[Yes, obviously a re-dial ... goes without saying. The font is totally wrong, the minute markers are misaligned, and the "T"s on the bottom of the dial indicate tritium lume. Not only is there no lume on the dial, but tritium wasn't used until roughly 15 years later. If the dial originally had lume, it would have been radium-based.]
    Apologies for doing the "Mr. obvious", wasn't my intention to be a d... :P

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    Apologies for doing the "Mr. obvious", wasn't my intention to be a d... :P
    Sometimes if the OP indicates that the piece is an heirloom or a gift, I'm just unsure what I should say, so I don't mention that it is a re-dial unless the OP explicitly asks about condition. But looking back, he did ask for more info about the watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information