OMG Thrift Store Omega!
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: OMG Thrift Store Omega!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OMG Thrift Store Omega!

I was traveling for business and on the way to the airport passed a thrift store so I stopped. It was the best thrift store I have ever been in. I have never seen so many watches. Out of the pile I picked out the most amazing Omega for the unbelievable price of $20. It says it is not working but For the last hour has been working great. It appears to be a 1920s. I didn't believe you could find these at thrift stores! I am beside myself with glee.
    I also picked up this excellent condition 1970s ladies Seiko automatic diver. It is also working fine
    I also got this Phasar 2000 to go with my other two. I might try to get all six from 1976.
    I'll Try to put more pictures up when I get home including movement shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: OMG Thrift Store Omega!

Great fun! Congrats!
    jimdon5822 likes this.

Whoa! Big score!

Don't run it too long without oiling it---that fellow is probably dry and grimy inside.
    Adhanji, jimdon5822 and busmatt like this.
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sorry to bring it to you but that omega is a redial. i'm really curious what movement is inside.

The dial and hands don't look completely original, but hopefully it is an actual Omega movement and case. I assume that there was a typo and you didn't mean to say 1920s.
    mkws likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Indeed looks like an old redial. And no, it's not from the 1920s. The design screams 1940s. The font, the quality of which is really not bad by the standards that redialers used to have quite a few decades ago, looks like the one used in the 1950s, and yet is somehow similar to the 1960s one. So I'd guess that's when it was redialed.

Still, while that's bad news, I think that for $20 there is little to complain, if it does turn out to be a legit Omega case and movement. Guess it might be good material for a project watch. Should you be contemplating a re-redial, I think you could have a look at Tim Mackrain's restoration work that he does on Omegas, as he usually gets the font and minute track alignment right.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny4 View Post
    sorry to bring it to you but that omega is a redial. i'm really curious what movement is inside.
    It looks like it will be tomorrow before I can open the case as it's pretty hard to find something to use in an airport. Lol.

OMG Thrift Store Omega!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The dial and hands don't look completely original, but hopefully it is an actual Omega movement and case. I assume that there was a typo and you didn't mean to say 1920s.
    I kind of figured it might be a redial. And yes I meant to say 1940s. I can't wait to get this thing opened. I suspect it is a 30T2 reference 2214 based on this eBay auction.

Last edited by jimdon5822; March 11th, 2017 at 01:57.
    badbackdan likes this.

It might be a very similar dial style, but it's quite definitely not the same reference- notice the very different lugs on both watches. The reference number indicates a particular case design, to which a particular movement (sometimes also its derivatives, if the movement was "updated", but the reference was not discontinued or a differently priced version was also offered) is assigned.
    jimdon5822 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

It could be a 30T2 or 260-series movement, but not that reference number. That ref 2214 case has very distinctive faceted lugs.
    jimdon5822 and Code_ like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information