WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

OMG Thrift Store Omega!

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  jimdon5822 
#1 ·
I was traveling for business and on the way to the airport passed a thrift store so I stopped. It was the best thrift store I have ever been in. I have never seen so many watches. Out of the pile I picked out the most amazing Omega for the unbelievable price of $20. It says it is not working but For the last hour has been working great. It appears to be a 1920s. I didn't believe you could find these at thrift stores! I am beside myself with glee.

I also picked up this excellent condition 1970s ladies Seiko automatic diver. It is also working fine

I also got this Phasar 2000 to go with my other two. I might try to get all six from 1976.
I'll Try to put more pictures up when I get home including movement shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Whoa! Big score!

Don't run it too long without oiling it---that fellow is probably dry and grimy inside.

#6 ·
Indeed looks like an old redial. And no, it's not from the 1920s. The design screams 1940s. The font, the quality of which is really not bad by the standards that redialers used to have quite a few decades ago, looks like the one used in the 1950s, and yet is somehow similar to the 1960s one. So I'd guess that's when it was redialed.

Still, while that's bad news, I think that for $20 there is little to complain, if it does turn out to be a legit Omega case and movement. Guess it might be good material for a project watch. Should you be contemplating a re-redial, I think you could have a look at Tim Mackrain's restoration work that he does on Omegas, as he usually gets the font and minute track alignment right.

#9 ·
It might be a very similar dial style, but it's quite definitely not the same reference- notice the very different lugs on both watches. The reference number indicates a particular case design, to which a particular movement (sometimes also its derivatives, if the movement was "updated", but the reference was not discontinued or a differently priced version was also offered) is assigned.

Reactions: jimdon5822
#19 ·
I have one correction. After looking for a caliber 265 T6 and not finding it online I double checked and it is marked 265 T3. That makes more sense now. Also a comment was made about the lugs not being faceted but they are faceted. See photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Omega was noted for having hands of that style in the 1930's, not the 1940's. Could be that they were replaced at one time. However anything is possible with vintage Omega.

Also, crystal is distorting the view of the dial in the first picture. Very difficult to tell if original or redial.

Nice buy,
gatorcpa

#17 ·
Omega was noted for having hands of that style in the 1930's, not the 1940's.
Nope. Introduced in the very late 1930s (1938/1939)? Possibly. Typical of that period, for Omega? No. Most specimens with "pontife" hands seem to date from the early to mid 1940s.

#21 ·
The new dial shots with a more detailed view of the minute track prove that it's a redial- the minute track is quite obviously misaligned. The font looks quite fuzzy, too.

Reactions: jimdon5822
#22 ·
Nice score. Redial or not it is still cool

Yes you can find Omega watches in thrift stores still

Here is the Omega Seamaster Deville that I found in my favorite thrift store in January 2017. I got it for $30 plus tax. It is a gold capped/stainless steel one piece case. The watch is in great shape with the original Omega signed crystal. The crown is not Omega but who cares.

Mine runs great.

Enjoy your watch

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.