Hello, I bought yesterday this watch

Name:  rohrer_front.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  rohrer_movement.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  169.3 KB
    The dial as you can see says Rohrer watch Waterproof 17 Jewels

The back says Stainless steel Back, Waterproof,antimagnetic Incabloc,Swiss made

Do you have any info about the brand and the movement;

Re: One from the flea-market

Stylistically, I'm thinking late 40's, early 50's. I can't find any hits on Rohrer in any of the IP databases though. It's a fairly common swiss surname, so likely it was just the brand name used by some watch company operated by one of the many Rohrer's back in the time when everybody and their cousin was reselling Swiss watches. It's a decent enough quality watch in general, but this one has seen better days and will need to be serviced before it grinds itself into dust.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for your answer. Yes I will have it serviced ass soon as I can . I forgot to mention that under the mainspring has thee number 188 inscripted if that helps for the recognition of the movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if the 188 means it's a FHF 188 the movement shown in Ranfft here ? bidfun-db FHF_188: FHF 188 shows a subseconds movement (a FHF 186) The differences could be the changes nessacary to make it a center seconds movementt

That is a very nice radial number dial - I like them

Very popular in the later 30s through 40s - so I'd probably agree with Rob but on the earlier end of his time scale, i.e. mid-late 40s.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Looking at the position of the second wheel (next to the escapement wheel), it is obviously a base movement with a small second at 6:00 (savonette calibre) with a more elaborate adaptation for a centre second feature. The geartrain bridge has been swapped completely for one that allows an extra wheel off the small second wheel into the centre and the centre wheel is held by a sold cock rather than a frail spring. Looking at the remaining parts of the original movement, particularly the mainspring bridge, the shape is more reminescent of a Peseux calibre, e.g. compare the Cal. 220:

bidfun-db Peseux_220: Peseux 220

Ranfft mentions that a lot of the Peseux calibres have centre second adaptations that are marked with an "A", (e.g. 220A) without showing any of them. This might be one such adaptation.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information