This one jumped the queue (Roamer content)
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: This one jumped the queue (Roamer content)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This one jumped the queue (Roamer content)

I have just finished this 1927/28 Roamer 15 Jewel Sterling Silver 'Paris Square' 'Trench' watch:

I bought this just recently in a job lot, along with a 1915 Waltham. The Roamer jumped what must be close to a 3 year long service queue and I sorted it out today. It arrived non functional, but in OK condition considering it is 85 years old. I was pretty pleased with the dial when that horrible yellowed crystal came off.

This image shows the condition of the hands and dial. When the crystal is missing or yellowed like this one was, I fit a temporary (cheap plastic Indian) crystal to protect the dial and hands while in storage as the old yellow crystals can lead to corrosion of the hands.

The movement needed some work, a new dial side jewel for the 4th (seconds) pinion as the original was fractured (very common) plus a new setlever screw (thankfully I had a generic from an old selection that was close) and of course mainspring. Gratuitous photo of the finished MST175 movement.

The hands, cleaned, lightly polish and having just been relumed.

Dial cleaned, dial lume is the original radium - with an old repair to the '7'.

Happy with that.

Wristy Sadly the old croc strap is just too fragile to wear.

Last edited by trim; May 31st, 2012 at 09:49.
    joeuk, john87300, Marrick and 6 others like this.

Re: This one jumped the queue (Roamer content)

Great work trim, not bad for a amateur lol. Marc must of started something with these trench watches

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Marc must of started something with these trench watches
    I am glad he has got so interested in this era, but he didn't start it
    Last edited by trim; May 31st, 2012 at 09:45.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lovely job, I was really pleased to see you left the old repair of the "7" untouched. Another watch of yours brought back to life whilst retaining its character!
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Hi!

Great work and a lovely result! I like cushion designs.
    A question for the experts - where do the (IMHO military related) trenchwatches end and the "normal" wristwatches start?
    Best regards, Mike

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I'm really going to have to have a go at reluming hands. That and learning how to rejewel. Great work on that 175

Now, given your thoughts on patina in the past, would you care to give your rationale for this watch's treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I am glad he has got so interested in this era, but he didn't start it
    Quite right.... just because I have recently flood WUS with early wrist watches, I know im far behind many of you in terms of knowledge/collecting this era of watch!

That said trim, you nearly didnt post this thread... pretty sure those were on my watch list too!!!

Looks like they went to the right home though.... The roamer is looking great!

Congrats
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

Great work and a lovely result! I like cushion designs.
    A question for the experts - where do the (IMHO military related) trenchwatches end and the "normal" wristwatches start?
    Thanks Mike. The end of the 20s, although you can find occasional ones from later, they were few and afar between. Of course after the mid 1920s or so these styles was in decline (but in gold into the 1940s!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Now, given your thoughts on patina in the past, would you care to give your rationale for this watch's treatment?
    OK, well I'm not sure exactly what we are discussing, but it sounds like a good chat. The lume on the dial is intact and original, the dial was only cleaned with a pithwood stick and water. The case really only had a clean to remove the dirt and to bring out the shine a quick rub with a silver cloth. If you look carefully, you will still see the lovely deep black aged burnish to the silver, only the surface is now shiny. Probably the photos don't show this too well, as the shiny is distracting. The very outer layer of tarnish in the before photos is quite unstable, and comes off with handling anyway (including wearing it). So it isn't shiny mirror polished on a machine with extensive removal of material - which is what I object to. The hands, well, they need to be relumed because there was none left, and what was there was unstable. The skeleton look without lume is incorrect. I would have loved to keep the strap, but it was falling apart.

I guess, one way of looking at my position, is this is close to how it would look if it had been worn and cherished - rather than being a shoe box refugee. People would have cleaned their silver watches with a rub with a silver cloth (old tech) - but the high mirror polish you get on restored ones on ebay, never. In this one, the raised areas are shiny, the recesses are dark, but in both cases the deep burnish is still there - look at around the crystal and ends of the strap bars. All done only by hand, with tricky bits unpolished. As I guess it would have been at the time.

In an attempt to clarify, there is a difference between care and neglect or patina and dirt. There is a line, and the idea (for me) is to get close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    That said trim, you nearly didnt post this thread... pretty sure those were on my watch list too!!!
    They weren't on ebay - luckily for me.
    Last edited by trim; June 1st, 2012 at 00:24.
    Mirius likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I like that, very nicely positioned. Thanks for taking the time to share that, it was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    They weren't on ebay - luckily for me.
    Really?

I would have put money on the fact I had seen those 2 watches before......

TRENCH EYE!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information