One of those days
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: One of those days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One of those days

My watch fell off my wrist into the toilet and the crystal came off and was nowhere to be found in toilet. Got watch out quickly trying to take it apart for drying and the stem snapped off. I love the watch and now I guess its a good time to service it.... Yes also the toilet was in a used unflushed state.... Only permanent damage SO FAR is the lume on hands came off which I guess is alright because some was missing already... Everything dry now

Re: One of those days

I got a good chuckle out of this post. Someday we'll have to start a thread where we confess to the worst accidents we've had with beloved vintage watches.

Not as dramatic as yours, but I once dropped my UG Compur onto a carpeted surface, which I thought would be ok, but the crystal was apparently improperly fitted and it fell off. The sweep second hand became snarled in the carpet fibers and turned into spaghetti as I extracted it. I was able to carefully straighten it bit by bit, so it's not so obviously bent now, but whenever I see it, I still notice the imperfection and it reminds me of the incident.
    crt43 and FreddyNorton like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I'm still wondering how did it exactly fall off... Spring bar failure? The strap/bracelet broke?
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Spring bar and it whipped in in the toilet with enough force to knock crystal off and send it down the pipe too far to get back. I have a bad habit of using old spring bars because I like the brass look to them. I think it must have been worn thinner than I thought it was. Cheap walmart "leather" strap was on it at the time.

Just finished up the watch last night and let it run and its keeping almost perfect time so far +3 seconds for 12 or so hours. Its a funny story with this watch I got it on ebay for around 8 bucks because it was so grimy looking and missing the second hand. Got it and while cleaning it up I saw it was marked sterling on the case. Cleaned it up and put a hand on it and listed it on ebay with no strap for 75 bucks and got a bunch of 50 dollar offers and 10 watchers within days. Had second thoughts and took it down because I decided to keep it and put a strap on it and was wearing it to see how well it kept time and thats when this happened! Now its cleaned and oiled with a nice vintage strap on it and im keeping it 100% now!. Anyone know anything about the brand or movement or era its from?

simpletreasures, busmatt and Shum like this.

Expect some pootina to develop over time....
    So many watches.....so little time.....

The "Kent" trademark was registered to a Finlay Straus Inc. of New York- an import company, I presume. The movement is by A. Schild, a cal. 984 or a derivative thereof. There are a few Laco trademarks in Mikrolisk:
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

My bet would be the one registered to Picard, Hermann & Fils. Could also be the one registered to Langendorf.

Made between the late 1930s and late 1940s.
    FreddyNorton and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

A few months ago I (somehow) dropped my electric toothbrush, and it hit the bathroom floor so perfectly that it bounced about a foot and a half into the air, and plunked brush down into the toilet. Too funny to be angry.

A vintage watch, on the other hand...
    CC Texas likes this.

I must start cleaning out my closet :D $50 for it?, omg :O
    Chaos is my focus

Yeah probably because its sterling silver? Ive had a few but always by mistake I buy them cheap and get them and clean them up and find out its marked sterling!
    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    I must start cleaning out my closet :D $50 for it?, omg :O
    laikrodukas likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information