open ended dress straps

Thread: open ended dress straps

open ended dress straps

Hi there - I have a vintage Stowa with fixed bars incoming that I'd like to dress up from the aviator strap that it is on presently. This is my first go with fixed lugs, and I'm having a devil of a time finding options for open ended straps to choose from. Do you guys have any pointers?

Thanks very much.

Dave

Re: open ended dress straps

fixed lugs were common in 1920s watches and are normally referred to as "wire lugs".. try searching for that. Many band sellers (but certainly not all) have them.

alternatively, consider modding a normal strap if the leather return on the back is long enough for you to cut and then glue back in place

Depends too on lug width.

I had a watch like that not too long ago, and had my jeweler remove the lug bars and drill holes for spring bars. It's an easy operation, but the movement needs to be removed first. You can't even tell it's not "stock," unless you happen to know that particular watch didn't come that way.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I'm in the middle of my search for wire lug bands, but my web searching skills are pretty weak. The lugs are 20mm, so hopefully a pretty standard size. That should make things easier, right?

Drilling won't be an option for this watch. The bars stick out from a rectangular watch body - there aren't any lugs in the way I usually think of them.

Dave

Hi -

I've got no less than three of the vintage Stowas that were the direct predecessors of the current Antea models (i.e. Bauhaus design), each with fixed lugs.

Basically, I wear them on NATO straps, usually a Bond. TimeFactors makes some good NATOs with various regimental straps. Doesn't exactly fit the style, but looks good.

If you want a more dressy alternative, you'll need to go to a proper jeweler/watch shop. A good one will have open-ended dress straps, which are usually glued shut once they are mounted on the watch. These are generally very nice and rather pricey, which is why I go with the NATO Bonds.

Here is a quick and dirty photo of one of my vintage Stowas on this NATO bond...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Ebay. On US ebay, look under watch accessories and search for '20mm open'. Rustwatch has a selection from $12 upwards. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I will report in if I find what I'm after.

Dave

Well the watch arrived and has 17mm lugs, making the problem all the more difficult. The Jurgen strap it arrived on is wonderfully comfortable, but the rivet look doesn't match what I'm after with this watch. I ended up taking a spare 18mm strap and following bjohnson's advice - cut it and re-glue. Works for me! The difference between 18mm and 17mm isn't a huge deal on this watch, and this strap was just sitting around anyway.

I like this fella. Now to try to learn some more about it...

Thanks all!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daviswalker View Post
    Well the watch arrived and has 17mm lugs, making the problem all the more difficult. The Jurgen strap it arrived on is wonderfully comfortable, but the rivet look doesn't match what I'm after with this watch. I ended up taking a spare 18mm strap and following bjohnson's advice - cut it and re-glue. Works for me! The difference between 18mm and 17mm isn't a huge deal on this watch, and this strap was just sitting around anyway.

I like this fella. Now to try to learn some more about it...

Thanks all!
    Dave

Looks great with that strap!
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

"milwatchnut" on MWR had some of these a while ago, maybe worth a try?