Opera Timemaster Watch?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By mmarc77
  • 2 Post By Charon
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: Opera Timemaster Watch?

Opera Timemaster Watch?

I thought this Opera watch was interesting with the power reserve. It has a nicely finished movement F760 and the case is gold capped over SS. The marker at 9:00 has come off and is at 1:00. Can't find much about this company other than another member who posted pics of his on WUS. Looks like 1955 is about the year made.

Name:  IMG_1207.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  102.8 KBName:  IMG_1209.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  89.5 KBName:  IMG_1208.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  96.0 KBName:  IMG_1210.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  97.8 KBName:  IMG_1211.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  103.8 KB

Also, got this Rytime Rotomatic with an AS1361N movement. The case and lugs have a cool shape and are kind of scalloped. It also has these metal loops on the case surrounding the movement that I assume is to make the case more water resistant. It has Fairfax Watch Co on the rotor. Would be interested to know the date of these two. After a little research it looks like, ironically, they are both 1955.

Name:  IMG_1212.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  94.9 KBName:  IMG_1215.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  97.0 KBName:  IMG_1214.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  100.5 KBName:  IMG_1213.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  92.6 KBName:  IMG_1216.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  106.4 KBName:  IMG_1218.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  100.1 KBName:  IMG_1217.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  102.0 KB
    Last edited by mmarc77; November 21st, 2015 at 08:30.
    bobbee, busmatt, bsshog40 and 1 others like this.

Re: Opera Timemaster Watch?

The Opera is a nice watch , I was going to bid on it as I do have a small accumulation of their timepieces. I do think it has been redialled though. The watch was sold by Opera Diamond jewelry in Quebec , I believe they have been in business since the early 50s.
    busmatt and mmarc77 like this.

Here's some info on the movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Felsa 760 Permutator
    The Ranfft archive gives a "circa 1955" for the specimen listed, but doesn't give the exact years of manufacture. I would say that judging by the style it's post-1955, but that's just my opinion. I agree with Charon that it's a redial, the power reserve scale is... not really of good quality, shall we say.
    Still, the paint doesn't creep on the sides of the hour markers- but that's probably due to the fact, that they were taken off in order for the dial to be repainted.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These power reserve felsa's are great, I wonder how I never came across one What a great feature on an affordable automatic watch, its a shame they abandoned it....

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Here's some info on the movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Felsa 760 Permutator
    The Ranfft archive gives a "circa 1955" for the specimen listed, but doesn't give the exact years of manufacture. I would say that judging by the style it's post-1955, but that's just my opinion. I agree with Charon that it's a redial, the power reserve scale is... not really of good quality, shall we say.
    Still, the paint doesn't creep on the sides of the hour markers- but that's probably due to the fact, that they were taken off in order for the dial to be repainted.
    No question about the redial and you're absolutely right as there are four markers with glue which means they were removed and the dial redone albeit long ago as there is a lot of build up on the edges of the dial that would have taken years. It's a really well made watch and the pics don't show well how nicely done the movement is. Unfortunately, this one has been worn hard and watchmaker will have his hands full with this one. I think I will get the dial redone since it is not original. I would love to see what an Opera in good shape looks like and am keeping my eye out for them.
    Last edited by mmarc77; November 21st, 2015 at 20:34.

Oh, and as to the Rytime- two Rytime trademarks belonged to Mimo/Girard-Perregaux, trademark registered twice, in 1926 and 1946. The other Rytime was registered in 1940 to Kay Jewelry Stores of Washington, D.C.
    Import code FXF= Fairfax Watch Co. and Gruen.
    Next, it gets even better. Fairfax trademark, registered to D. Gruen & Sons.
    That said, I think that ties to Gruen are more than likely. All in all, I think that it's a piece by a Gruen-owned company, retailed by that jeweller from Washington, D.C.
    With a stainless steel case (not chrome-plated brass), this must have been- in terms of quality- a really decent piece back in the day.
    Last edited by mkws; November 21st, 2015 at 20:54.
    mmarc77 likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have also found another watch using the Felsa 760 Permutator, signed by Nisus, but sharing the same case with your watch:
    Name:  761471604_6_Big.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  27.0 KB
    Name:  761471604_5_Big.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  19.6 KB
    Unfortunately a redial, so I wouldn't use it as a point of reference while repainting the dial.
    Redialling a redial is a perfectly acceptable thing in my book.
    Charon and mmarc77 like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I have also found another watch using the Felsa 760 Permutator, signed by Nisus, but sharing the same case with your watch:
    Name:  761471604_6_Big.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  27.0 KB
    Name:  761471604_5_Big.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  19.6 KB
    Unfortunately a redial, so I wouldn't use it as a point of reference while repainting the dial.
    Redialling a redial is a perfectly acceptable thing in my book.

Thanks mkws! I guess I do need to try to find an original dial to give guidance on the redial, hadn't thought of that.

Thread Information