Opera Watch ID?

Thread: Opera Watch ID?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opera Watch ID?

Experts needed. I am looking at this watch, an Opera. Never heard of Opera, anyone know anything about this watch? Its very beautiful to me, and it is fully serviced I am assured. I will say its less than 1k though price is not the issue, I feel its a good deal for what it is. Any help in IDing the movement is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Opera Watch ID?

I would think that there won't be too much information on "Opera" - probably just another small etablisseur who used generic movements and went out with the quartz crisis of the seventies, if not before. As such, the watch should not be worth all that much.

However, it is upgraded by the full calender/moonphase complication. Even considering that it is in a generic movement, it is not common and therfore fairly collectible. The movement has me stumped, though. It looks like a Felsa Bidynator. I went to Ranfft's pink pages and the only one with calender/moonphase in the series seems to be the Cal. 693:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Felsa_693

This is, however supposed to have a special fine adjustment by which the end of the hairspring is clamped between two rollers and the whole hairspring is thereby lengthened or shortened. This is not the case in your watch. Either the 693 also came from Felsa with a conventional beat adjustment or the watch has parts from two different watches (a "mariage"), which would reduce its value to a collector.

Maybe others may have more information which would help you assess its true value and collectibility.

Hartmut Richter

Complications are often added over base movements... This produces far to many variations for even a collection on the scale of Dr. Ranfft to catalog.

Patek produced a very similar watch to this Opera... Theirs was adjusted to 6 positions but still, 2 positions of adjustment puts this Opera in a higher classification than most watches of this period (which I would guess to be the 40's).

This one is a keeper I bet
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I should just have asked for any information, sorry bout that. I find it a very interesting watch and the pinkish movement is pretty neat. I think it is worth what is being asked, am since its fully serviced and keeping good time that make it worth it. I remember seeing a Zodiac moonphase watch that was similar to this, though the Zodiac was a little prettier.

We avoid giving valuations in here and when asked we have a couple of responses:
    (1) A vintage watch is worth what a buyer will pay for it.
    (2) If it's worth it to you, it's good value as far as you are concerned.
    These may seem trite at first glance but there is more wisdom than foolishness in both statements, if you ponder them a bit.
    The facts that it is a nice watch with desirable complications and is serviced and running outweigh its rather generic brand name in my view. But again it's your call.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

No problems I'm not worried about actual value, that would be next to impossible. I feel its worth the asking price for the Complications and its serviced and running well. Plus its a pretty face, and its Rose gold. Plated but aestheticly pleasing.

Gents thanks but it looks like I will be passing this gem and putting the funds towards a Marin Master!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Patek produced a very similar watch to this Opera...
    not just only PP, but Omega as well:

-Blaise-

Nice! What language is the top dial?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Nice! What language is the top dial?
    arabic numerals

-Blaise-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information