Opinion on this Omega

Thread: Opinion on this Omega

Opinion on this Omega

Hey everyone,

I would like to get an advice about this vintage Omega Seamaster. I really dont understand much about watches and I am think this one for my dad for a birthday present. Its on a sale from a vintage/antique watch store.Please let me know what you think and If its real or not. By the way he says that its in a perfect condition for a watch this old and the strap is a real croc strap and its from his first owner.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Opinion on this Omega

I have this watch, and what troubles me is that the dial does not say "Seamaster." Mine is a straight up Geneve, with a caseback that just says "waterproof." But I am no expert, so perhaps Omega made these in different combinations. The movement should be a Cal 564 or Cal 565 if memory serves.

I'm not very familiar with Omegas, but it looks authentic to me. Maybe from the late 60's.

Yes that's what I'm wondering Oceankid. I saw some examples online that just had Geneve.
    Last edited by CC Texas; September 3rd, 2017 at 22:04.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jacob Wehrli is a name. Wehrli is a typical Swiss (German part) family name. Mitarbeiter = German for employee. ELFA could be a company. There is a company ELFA in Switzerland. I don't know where they have been founded (foundation was 1962). Today, they are residing in the Italian part of Switzerland. But that could be something totally different. Doesn't look like a birthday present.

I actually don't know if its seamaster or geneve I just saw this watch on antique shop but I will try to get better pics like movement system,crown and photos from different angles

These are other photos of the watch I am sorry about the quality
    Attached Images Attached Images

While the dial may well be correct for this reference, it is not correct for this watch! A Geneve would have a plain case back, no Seamaster logo. One reference, i.e. one case/movement combination, could exist within two collections, especially Seamaster and Geneve.

So, such a "shared" reference can be:
    1. Unsigned (no collection name on the dial)
    2. Single-signed (one collection name on the dial, in case of Seamasters a Seamaster logo on the back)
    3. Double-signed (two collection names on the dial)

Geneve name on the dial + a Seamaster back = frankenwatch.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Mkws nailed it. I also don't see a caliber number on the movement. Maybe Omega did not always stamp the caliber, but it's just another red flag. Someone with more knowledge than me can confirm whether that the absence of a caliber number is strange.

Thread Information