Opinions on this Omega and recommendations for a birthday present

Thread: Opinions on this Omega and recommendations for a birthday present

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on this Omega and recommendations for a birthday present

Hi there!

I would like to have some comments about this Omega. I found it at the bay while looking for a 30th birthday present for myself. I would like to find a nice vintage watch but my budget is a bit restriced. I've around $500 to spend.
    This is one of the options that I've found but there's something about it that doesn't feel right. That's why I would like to have some opinions.
    And if you could also make me some suggestions, It would be great.
    Be looking at this Omega, you can see the type of watches that I like: simple, classic, timeless (can you call a watch timeless?).
    Can you recommend something from around my birth year (1982)?
    Thanks in advance.

Regards and happy holidays.

HdC

Re: Opinions on this Omega and recommendations for a birthday present

The watch in the listing looks pretty good except for one thing. According to the Jules Borel database, the correct movement should be the cal. 610, not the 601. The only major difference between the two movements is the date feature. So it might be worth the effort to ask the seller if there is a mistake in the listing.

Here's another Ref. 14724 that sold recently:

1960 18K SOLID GOLD CASED OMEGA GENEVE 17 JEWELLED WRIST WATCH IN WORKING ORDER | eBay

In my experience, Argentina is one of those countries where one needs to be very careful when it comes to vintage watches. A lot of strange combinations of parts seem to come from there.

Don't have any suggestions in a mechanical Omega circa 1982. By then a great majority of Omega's sales were quartz watches.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

If you aren't dead set on an Omega, Certina made similar looking pieces:

This one is solid gold (1973):

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for you input.

Gatorpca, I just don't "feel right" about this piece. I don't know how to explain it.
    Marrick, I'm not dead set on any brand, just the style. I would like something from my year. I prefer mechanical but a there are some cool quartz pieces from the 80's.
    Any more suggestions?

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

My suggestion would be that a birth year watch is one that you are going to keep for many, many years. I don't know how long a quartz watch can continue to function and be repairable.

For the price and year as mentioned a lot of quartz wars going on then. Only others were high end watches but will cost more to buy. A good option would be a seiko, dont know if they did a higher end model at the price you have. If wanting a birth watch I think you may need to save up more for a good quality mechanical watch for those years to then last you many years to come.

Joeuk and Mirius, thanks for your opinions.
    I do prefer a mechanical watch. The only problem is that the 80's were a bad time for the mechanical watch industry. Quartz ruled those ages. :) When I say cool quartz, I mean something like these:
    Name:  omegaf300.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  112.2 KBName:  SpaceviewB.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  29.3 KB
    That's why I'm asking for recommendations... The budget available can go up if I find a piece that's worth it.
    What kind of Seiko do you suggest, Joeuk?
    Last edited by tintasuja; December 28th, 2011 at 01:14.

The accutron isn't a quartz.

Just being an ass, but ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebouwman View Post
    The accutron isn't a quartz.

Just being an ass, but ya...
    It isn't? I tought that you had two types of accutrons: the electronically controled tunning-fork and the electronically quartz-controlled tunning-fork. So this one must be one of the non-quartz... Sorry :)

The tuning fork watches are great, but only concern if I was buying is the parts problem. Also remember to save some money for a service. The seiko I was thinking was a Grand seiko but again these still sell at high prices. Seiko do a few watches from those years at great prices you may even be able to buy one with built in mechanical alarm think its called a bellmatic. They made many in different styles a good search will show you the styles. Titus also did a tuning fork but dont know the years of make if you are still interested in the tuning fork. Such a hard year esp at the price you want to spend. Yes you can pick up some cheaper priced watches for your years e.g seiko 5 very cheap to buy, sekonda were still making mechanical watches at very good prices and not bad quality, even watches made in china like seagul. Tissot would be another cheaper then omega but still good quality, but again cant mention what watches were coming out in those years by Tissot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information