Opinions on this Patek please!

Thread: Opinions on this Patek please!

Opinions on this Patek please!

Forum members told me to post here before making any vintage purchases. I had posted some other watches in the thread labled "Help a noob", but I have yet to hear any replies.

Anyway, I need opinions on this watch. I know I will probably need to send it to Patek for refurbishing (which I believe will cost $700-$1200) and I need a band. Both of those things can be done to it. I just want to buys something that is original.

Here is what the seller says:
    Patek Philippe 18K gold Rare men's watch 3484 All Original! This outstanding watch is crafted in gorgeous rich 18K gold and features fine quality Swiss made movement. This watch has an elegant looking gold dial, with brillaint gold hands/hour marks and is sure to enthrall anyone who wears it. Rare style and world renown fine quality craftsmanship in same purchase! Ideal addition to any fine watch collection!
    CASE #3484

• Stamped: PATEK PHILIPPE 18K
    • Measures:
      Lugs: 18 mm
      Crystal Diameter: 1.2 Inches (30.5 mm)
      Width w/Crown: 1.4 Inches (35.6 mm)
      Depth: 0.38 Inches (9.8 mm)
      Length: 1.54 Inches (39.1 mm)
      Diameter: 1.3 Inches (33 mm)
    • Total Weight:15.5 Pennyweight (24.11 Grams)
    • Watch Type: Manual Winding. In Working Order!
    No date info, so... I'm guessing 60s or 70s.

Here are the pictures (prepare yourself for original patina):

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Other watches

If anyone would like to comment on the other watches that I am looking at, they are here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...st3428014.html

Re: Other watches

I see no problems with authenticity but I am nowhere near an PP expert.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Likewise, looks good to me, but again, I am no a PP expert.

Seems that if you are happy to go with PP service on this watch, they will authenticate it first and I believe they supply new papers with their service. As long as you buy it in such a way that it can be returned if PP don't authenticate it.

Does it look like water got inside or is that just condensation from being a florida watch?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PPLover View Post
    Does it look like water got inside or is that just condensation from being a florida watch?
    Yep, that's some kind of damage from moisture. It's a good watch, just a simple one with a great name. You can get a JLC that will be just as nice and look virtually the same for probably half the price. Jaeger LeCoultre is a secret that's well known to forum members. They made many movements for Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, and a couple other brands.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement on that watch is, in case you hadn't guessed it already from the inscription on the movement, a Cal. 23-300 (23mm across, 3mm thick), which is in-house. Here is the related 23-300 PM:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...lippe_23-300PM

Hartmut Richter

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Opinions on this Patek please!

As ulackfocus mentioned JLC is a great watch, but also you could save a bit more with a LeCoultre. I've never understood why the American LeCoultres sell for less than the Jaeger LeCoultre. I've seen the identical watch from each company, and the LeCoultre going for much less.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thread Information