Opinions of this Pavel Buhre

Thread: Opinions of this Pavel Buhre

Opinions of this Pavel Buhre

I'm not terribly familiar with these watches, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of detailed information about them. I've searched the forum and Mark Gordons site trying to learn as much as I can. The enamel dials really are very striking and hold their age beautifully.

I came across this number on eBay and while the price seems a little high it has held my interest for the past few days. I would appreciate any opinions.

Name:  $(KGrHqNHJEQFCD!s+T+wBQpkOCjQSQ~~60_57.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  619.9 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqRHJEsFCcEFTLeMBQpkOVLdH!~~60_57.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  592.0 KB

My thoughts: The movement is a real Buhre. It matches all the example I have seen with the russian adjustment markings. The winding bridge is steel, not matching the gold color of the rest of the movement unlike most of the example I've seen, but as far as I know this could be a common variation.

The dial looks like enamel and all the markings certainly have that Buhre style. You can see what looks like a small crack on the IX marker. The spelling of Pavel has the correct pre-1918 spelling. It looks original to me, but I certainly could be fooled.

The case looks not legitimate at all. The lugs look crudely made and even more crudely attached to the case, pretty shoddy work. There is a serial number on the inside of the caseback, but none printed on the rim of the case. I have no idea about the hands, they don't seem to match the correct style, but they certainly have some age to them.

So, it looks like an original Buhre movement with a possibly original dial, thrown into some old case, probably replaced hands.

How close am I?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Opinions of this Pavel Buhre

Well, the movement is definitely a Paul (Pavel) Buhre. The dial and hands look OK to me. As for the case, it is probably what has seen the most wear so no wonder that it is in bad condition. Maybe the hallmarks might tell more - if the movement is rather older or younger than the case, this is a sign of frankenizing (the most likely reason for a mismatch if there should be one).

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for your input Hartmut. Have you ever seen a Buhre in a case like that, with lugs like that?

Finding examples of pocket watches from that era is easy, but I have not been able to find a wrist watch case that quite looks like that from that period.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a genuine Paul Buhre movement and dial. They used to belong to a lady's hunter pocket watch. After the Russian Revolution of 1917 there was a shortage of wristwatches, and local artisans ("artels") created their own wristwatch cases and used these small (~11-13 ligne) movements.

In other words, this is a conversion going back approximately 90 years. Hands are not original. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by vbomega; January 1st, 2013 at 03:38.

Thank you Omega, that is most helpful, and for me makes the watch even more interesting than if the case were original. A 90 year old franken, or a bourgeois movement with a proletariat case. :) A very fitting history to this watch considering the time and circumstances it lived through, IMO. The hands are not a deal breaker for me.

Thread Information