Opinions on Richard Chronometre
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Opinions on Richard Chronometre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Opinions on Richard Chronometre

Hi all.

Prompted by mikebaetelu's thread I'd be interested to garner some opinions and any information anyone can share on this piece I recently picked up:

Name:  489EF4CC-EA2E-485D-8AAF-78507D5896D3.png.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  1AD00848-2C31-4812-AAA3-AAADCE5704A0.png.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  9AE48096-BB1C-4CFD-8D48-D894A62C5C6C.png.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  122.6 KB

I've been trying to research her and there's not much easily 'findable' - there's Jean Richard and Daniel Jean Richard of which there's a little info, but not much as the name seems to be a recent revival of a long-dead. There's quite a few Richard Chronographs about, but few/no three-handers. Ditto the movement to an extent, I can't find anything meaningful on the AS 1507/1508 at my usual sources (google and ranfft.de although the latter has close relations I think)

Typing 'Richard' of course gives you a billion-or-so repeats for Richard flipping Mille and that's about it

Keen to know what you think - the quality finish and serial number on the movement together with the higher jewel count (although I am aware of the jewel proliferation in the past) suggests that this may possibly be a certified chronometer(?), and she does perform well - about -4s/day currently!! Case is restored I'm almost certain but is very sharp edged, crystal was polished by the vendor, and the dial looks original; but the second hand in red perhaps not... and wouldn't a higher end and/or chronometer grade piece have at least applied markers?

Hope you can enlighten me!

Thanks, Ben
    Last edited by BenF; February 12th, 2015 at 12:49. Reason: Better title!
    busmatt likes this.
    specto magis

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Opinions on Richard Chronometre

I have a couple of watches which are marked as Chronometre and the spelling does seem significant. All are better finished than a standard movement. None however are certified to the best of my knowledge. As far as I'm aware it's mostly a marketing ploy from that period.
    Last edited by Mirius; February 12th, 2015 at 13:40.
    busmatt and Apollonaught like this.

Re: Opinions on Richard Chronometre

I agree with Mirius. chronometre in this period doesn`t mean what it means today,and i think( but not a 100% sure) that a true chronometer would have more than a standard,simple regulator adjuster,no point having all that precision if you can`t fine tune it to cocs specs.
    busmatt and BenF like this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree; this watch seems to be a lot of flash but only a bit of substance; no fine regulation, no overcoil, only simple decoration on the most obvious parts, but notice how the pallet cock isn't finished, etc. The design seems 40's or 50's, which means it wasn't sold into the US (no import code). Mikrolisk has a number of "Richard" registrations, but too many to really narrow things down.
    Apollonaught and busmatt like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

1940's advert.

Name:  2helshd.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  83.8 KB
    Apollonaught, BenF and busmatt like this.

Two results in Mikrolisk seem to be at least close:

-Richard SA registered in Morges, Switzerland- A trade mark "Richard Automatic" is registered to this one, and the watch in the ad posted by bobbee seems to be matching this result.

-Richard Watch, registered by Schild & Cie. in La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1920- the watch has an AS movement, which can (but not necessarily does) mean Schild is the company which produced this watch.

Personally, I think it's Richard SA. Though it might be a long shot, frankly.

It may not be a certified chronometer, but what it is, is a really good looking watch!
    BenF and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks All looks like I've still got lots to learn on the research front too

The lack of micrometer regulation (reeds?) makes sense, I think certification was wishful thinking!!

I'm surprised that I can't find another even similar to this anywhere (and I roam the web a lot ) perhaps it was produced for a single or narrow market?

Thanks for the compliment MKWS and I agree - simple, elegant enough for dinner but works well casually, and excellent performance with a reputable 'motor' in the engine room A good catch for little $/£!!
    specto magis

I have just purchased (not yet received yet) two Richard's, a RadioStop and an Automatic. The Automatic does have a red second hand although a different shape than yours. Anxious to see them in person but here are a couple of pics for now. If anyone has any information on these or any other Richard's I would appreciate it. Will probably pick up a few more as my surname is Richard :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and bobbee like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Such a beautiful and unusual movement!
    Someone better have some info on it...
    busmatt likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement in the Radio-Stop is a Phenix Cal. 130(Stop) or perhaps a Cal.132, depending on whether the central hand can only be reset or stopped and reset via the crown. Detals are given by Ranfft:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Phenix 130(Stop)

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Phenix 132

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt and bobbee like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information