Opinions sought regarding a Polerouter Sub

Thread: Opinions sought regarding a Polerouter Sub

Opinions sought regarding a Polerouter Sub

Consider the following Polerouter Sub. Direct your attention to the closeup of the dial printing below.

I'm struck by the odd spacing between the "è' and the "v" in "Genève". Now this turns out to be a remarkably common feature, appearing in many examples of this watch across the interwebs - perhaps even the majority. Yet it seems odd to me that something like that would pass UG quality control. Am I overthinking this? I've love to hear what the experts of the forum think. Anyone have one of these to compare?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

LouS
    Last edited by LouS; December 31st, 2010 at 02:19.

Re: Opinions sought regarding a Polerouter Sub

I don't have a sub. But here's what I do have:

Name:  Polerouter 1.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  142.0 KB

The only Sub shown here:

Polerouter - collection

seems to have the odd spacing you've noticed.

Whereas, one or two of these:

http://www.polerouter.de/frameset-shop.htm

don't.
    Last edited by Marrick; December 31st, 2010 at 07:56.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I can see why your concerned. This watch is SO damn sweet that it would be tempting to find any excuse or rationalization to ignore that space and get the watch. I have to say that would seem something doesnt add up. However you yourself can see that the other examples out there have the same exact gap between the e and v.

In light of this research and the other UG ps's out there with the same gap I think you have to conclude that the dial is original. But I do think the inner bezel might have been repainted as the '40' is a tad too close to edge. I have the same situation with my SM chronostop: original dial/re-done bezel. I'm not 100% sure on the bzl. But that dial is ok.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; December 31st, 2010 at 22:23.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the watch has been redialed I always compare it to an original dial so I can see how well it has been redialed.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    If the watch has been redialed I always compare it to an original dial so I can see how well it has been redialed.
    Georges,
    I don't think it's been established that this is a redial at all, at least not in my mind. The preponderance of these in pictured examples suggest that it may be a variant. They seem to occur in watches with the straight lug case, which I think is the later of the two cases this watch comes in. An analysis of the movements should confirm that, but I haven't done it yet.

Banned

I don't think it's a redial either. The close-up of the letters shows very fine detail and the ink seems to be raised - a sign of an original. A better photo at a slightly lower angle to the dial with the hands cleared from the vicinity would show that. I don't know enough about UG to comment on them definitively, but by the evidence show in this thread the gap appears to be a variant from the factory.

Thread Information