Opinions on this Vintage Rado Captain Cook
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Opinions on this Vintage Rado Captain Cook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on this Vintage Rado Captain Cook

Dear forum members,

I have been a long time visitor of this forum but only decided to register now as I’d like to ask you for your opinion on this vintage rado captain cook that is on sale on ebay.

The watch seems to be similar to the one that was recently reviewed over at fratellowatches. My question concerns the crystal: seller states that there are scratches on the crystal. Does anyone know whether the rado had a sapphire or a plexy crystal (if the latter is the case, do you think they could be polished out)? Thank you very much in advance!

Thomas

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Opinions on this Vintage Rado Captain Cook

Welcome to Watchuseek. If it's the one on German fleabay, the seller states in his German description that it is plexiglass. On the whole, the watch looks marginally too old for mineral glass and the glass is domed anyway so it shouild be plexi. They should be easy to polish unless the scratches are very deep.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for your feedback. Yes it was this watch (Original vintage Rado Captain Cook from 1960s (not the new model)).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Thomas,

sorry, I suspect that you are the seller or related to him, and your post is just covered advertising. I believe in the infinity of human foolishness, but not so deeply that I think bids of that sort are real. Moreover I can't believe that someone worries about the crystal, while having no faint interest on the movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Thomas,

sorry, I suspect that you are the seller or related to him, and your post is just covered advertising. I believe in the infinity of human foolishness, but not so deeply that I think bids of that sort are real. Moreover I can't believe that someone worries about the crystal, while having no faint interest on the movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    There was a recent article on this model on FratelloWatches, which will probably drive up the interest. To me, it's not so special to be worth $2000+, but it's apparently something of a cult favorite.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...in-cook-diver/
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hi Dan,

maybe there is a tiny community who regards sites like Fratellowatches or Hodinkee as trend-setting, and appreciate text diarrhoea like the referred article. But that's a parallel universe, while this forum represents the real world of watch nuts.

Don't get me wrong: It is a nice watch, but finally a me-too diver with generic movement, nothing causing heart attacks.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; September 13th, 2017 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Dan,

maybe there is a tiny community who regards sites like Fratellowatches or Hodinkee as trend-setting, and appreciate text diarrhoea like the referred article. But that's a parallel universe, while this forum represents the real world of watch nuts.

Don't get me wrong: It is a nice watch, but finally a me-too diver with generic movement, nothing causing heart attacks.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Yup, I agree completely. Aside from some design cues (like the angled bezel), it's a decent, but fairly generic diver, small in size with a common movement, and a mediocre depth rating. Not even a screw-down crown. It's hard to say what causes some pieces to take on cult status, driving prices into the stratosphere. I guess people see it happen time and time again, and they're hoping to jump on the next big craze before it's too late.

Yes that Fratellowatch article caught my attention. Though I must admit I did not read it in full. It is indeed very long. The seller states that the movement is correct. Should I be concerned with it?
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Yup, I agree completely. Aside from some design cues (like the angled bezel), it's a decent, but fairly generic diver, small in size with a common movement, and a mediocre depth rating. Not even a screw-down crown. It's hard to say what causes some pieces to take on cult status, driving prices into the stratosphere. I guess people see it happen time and time again, and they're hoping to jump on the next big craze before it's too late.
    It's actually not hard to say in this instance, as the subject watch features both a Broad arrow hand and concave bezel, both of which are sought after by vintage dive collectors, and it is relatively rare. Don't misunderstand me – I believe it to be well overvalued, but the Gruen Ocean Chief goes for $2000+, the Breitling Transocean much higher (both with concave bezels), and broad arrow hands typically add value to any dive watch.

Finally, vintage divers are, with rare exceptions (e.g. IWC), never feature especially good movements, and most collectors couldn't care less about that aspect.
    Last edited by Tony C.; September 14th, 2017 at 14:54.
    jackruff and badbackdan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagetom View Post
    Yes that Fratellowatch article caught my attention. Though I must admit I did not read it in full. It is indeed very long. The seller states that the movement is correct. Should I be concerned with it?
    Thomas
    It's unfortunate that there is no photo of the movement, but other than that there's no particular concern. It's a common generic movement used in many watches from that era.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information