Original Breitling venus movement?

Thread: Original Breitling venus movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Breitling venus movement?

Hi guys,

I found an old school Breitling from the 40's with perhaps Venus 175 movement and I was hoping you might be able to tell me if it looks alright to you. The only thing I found funny about it was that it is 40 mm wide without the crown which sounds very large for that time?

Name:  b2.JPG
Views: 1024
Size:  258.9 KBName:  b1.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  297.0 KB
    Thoughts?
    THANKS!!

-Jay
    Last edited by jddanforth; June 17th, 2013 at 22:42. Reason: links didn't work, see attached

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Original Breitling venus movement?

Well, it is certainly a Venus 150 or 175 (probably the latter, especially if the case is supposed to be 40mm - the 175 is a little larger). The movement is signed so I would take it that started life in a Breitling. As for the dial, this doesn't really convince me - I would regard it as a fairly atrocious redial. The circular lines are slightly wobbly and there seem to be red smudges e.g. at 7:30.

Hartmut Richter

well, signed bridges on 1940s Breitlings are actually a sign the watch is fake or franken; Breitling only started to mark their Venus movements in the mid 1940s, starting with the 18k cases, often co-branded Breitling and "Premier".

this looks like a typical Buenos Aires Breitling, with a clumsy engraving added to a Venus 175 bridge marked "1177" - not a Breitling reference at all. If you post pictures of the caseback, we will for sure neither find a correct Breitling model no. nor a correct serial number; there also is no Breitling case w/ fancy lugs and 40mm from this period.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DD7

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
    well, signed bridges on 1940s Breitlings are actually a sign the watch is fake or franken; Breitling only started to mark their Venus movements in the mid 1940s, starting with the 18k cases, often co-branded Breitling and "Premier".

this looks like a typical Buenos Aires Breitling, with a clumsy engraving added to a Venus 175 bridge marked "1177" - not a Breitling reference at all. If you post pictures of the caseback, we will for sure neither find a correct Breitling model no. nor a correct serial number; there also is no Breitling case w/ fancy lugs and 40mm from this period.
    Looks like the engraving has been gilded - I can't imagine a fake would have that would it? The wobbly lines are from upscaling a low res photo - you can see this most clearly on the second hand.

Better photos please and caseback :)

there is no real doubt this is fake, sorry. Have seen hundreds of "gilded" Breitling engravings on fake chronographs from Argentina, Turkey and Italy, China lately (some on Landeron 48s Breitling never considered using).

Gilded? You mean the gold paint in the engravings? Childs play for anyone who has ever painted models.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

well, have now been asked regarding this specific watch on another forum;
    with an ebay link to the active auction.

of course it is from Buenos Aires, of course it has no correct ref. and serial no.;
    and it will sell around $1k - like dozens of others every week.

edit: sold for "only" $900, a markup of approximately 300% for the faker ....
    Last edited by WatchFred; June 18th, 2013 at 15:58.

sometimes UTC -8, or -7 or UTC and teh next week UTC +8 or UTC +9 , but usually in UTC +1 or +2

really don't need pics of caseback or better pics .
    Its fake , it was never close to the Breitling factory , not even the parking lot

furthermore, Fred rarely (if ever) misjudges vintage Breitling watches and if he has doubts or unsure he will say so as well
    Don't believe me or anything I say just because I say it ... do your own research , ask questions and get answers , find out what you can , do background searches on the (vintage) watch you're interested in AND on the seller , only if you do all of that you will be able to determine the authenticity of the watch you're interested in

Thanks all!!!
    Very helpful!
    I assume this is a fake as well? The dial is too new looking and it is from Argentina, but the case and movement is signed. Apparently that is easily faked too?
    Auctiva Image Hosting
    Thanks!
    Jay

Also, while i have your help, I've been looking at watches from this seller: All Categories
    Are these legit?
    Thanks so much!!!
    -Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information