Oris 7 jewel Hand Winding
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oris 7 jewel Hand Winding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris 7 jewel Hand Winding

In my search for a thin dress watch, I am looking at a vintage Oris Dynasty 7 jewel hand winding watch. Any ideas on the type of movement or quality of the watch?

Re: Oris 7 jewel Hand Winding

Hi,

My experience with vintage Oris is that their quality isnt too fantastic (case finishing and movement wise). Personally i would not pay more than a 100 dollars for one unless i really like it.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

You are probably here (displaying picture number 2 and 6 of the offer):

Oris Dynasty Genuine Vintage Hand Winding 7 Jewels Swiss Made Men's Watch | eBay

I don't know why the wristband is already torn at the edge if it's NOS. The numbers and the 'Swiss Made' are too close to the side, even considering the angle at which the picture was taken. I haven't seen that on any other Oris watch. The dial itself and the hands don't appeal to me and resemble the look of a modern quartz watch, but that's a matter of taste.

If Oris ever made a dynasty watch (I haven't seen a real Oris Dynasty vintage before) and provided everything is for real and you like the looks of the watch, especially the case, why not. Technically it is nothing special and the price is not ruining anyone, but certainly not a bargain of the century.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would consider $150 as a way too premium price for such a watch :)
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    I would consider $150 as a way too premium price for such a watch :)
    I wanted to put that somewhat nicer...

It's an inexpensive watch. I don't know if the cal. 732 is one of Oris's pin lever movements or a jeweled lever movement. The watch design would indicate fairly late production - 1970/80s.

Any value in the watch lies largely in its NOS condition, not any inherent quality, and whether you like it.

There's nothing amiss with the dial - it's just the curvature of the crystal edge affecting the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    It's an inexpensive watch. I don't know if the cal. 732 is one of Oris's pin lever movements or a jeweled lever movement. The watch design would indicate fairly late production - 1970/80s.

Any value in the watch lies largely in its NOS condition, not any inherent quality, and whether you like it.

There's nothing amiss with the dial - it's just the curvature of the crystal edge affecting the view.
    Yes, it is mainly the curvature of the crystal affecting the view, but even on low priced watches, that has usually been taken into account by moving in any writings on the dial far enough in order not to have too much of this effect. I haven't seen anything like this on any Oris watch before. Even on a 9,99 Chinese watch you don't have to look perfectly straigt from the top to avoid any distortions, be it the numbers itself or anything else written on the dial. On the images presented, we are already looking fairly straight from the top, now just imagine you are looking at the dial from the normal angle you have when you are checking the time. You might have to twist your arm to the maximum and lean forward with your head to be sure in certain positions of the hands. No, this is not anything near normal standards.

I was looking for vintage Oris watches in the recent past and never came accross any 'Dynasty' other than this specific N.O.S., but that doesn't mean it's not genuine Oris. They are still around with an uninterrupted history and one could ask them. If you like the looks of this watch, the flat case, the modern dial and hands, with special emphasis on a thin dress watch, you don't have to go vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Horological_Dino View Post
    Hi,

My experience with vintage Oris is that their quality isnt too fantastic (case finishing and movement wise). Personally i would not pay more than a 100 dollars for one unless i really like it.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk
    I found another similarly styled Oris Dynasty 7 jewel women's style watch in a closed Ebay auction.

According to the Oris history on their website the company was sold in 1970 and it began on a not very successful venture into cheap watches. Twelve years later in the midst of the Swiss watch industry collapse management bought the business and changed directions. By 1984 they got into much better quality again and re-introduced the pointer date (yay!).

I think a date for that watch will be somewhere in that 14 year period. It probably sold at department stores alongside Timex and other modestly priced watches.
    If one was building a complete collection of Oris watches it could be of interest at a lower price. As the owner of three newer Oris watches my suggestion would be to look at a newer used models. The quality is much much better.

1970 - History - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.

If the original poster is looking for a thin dress watch and is ok with quartz then please look at the Citizen Stiletto line.

edit: I finally looked at the auction. There appears to be high point wear on the lugs and the leather strap looks used and not original. Does not support the description of it being NOS.
    Last edited by John MS; August 9th, 2015 at 23:15.

That strap is to wide for the lugs, it looks squeezed in tightly.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

This watch is a loser I take it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information