Oris Handwind (Ebay)
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Oris Handwind (Ebay)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Oris Handwind (Ebay)

There's a lot of refurbished Oris watches on ebay in the $30 range. Can anyone check these out for me, legit?

Re: Oris Handwind (Ebay)

I guess there's only one way to find out...inb4 scammed by someone from India
    Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  289.5 KB

Mumbai special --- uargh
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; June 5th, 2015 at 05:57.
    busmatt and Border-Reiver like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awful. Lord knows what's inside, if they have so little care for the outside.
    busmatt and Border-Reiver like this.

idk what you're talking about, the outside looks fine to me. i did buy this watch. i hope the 17j handwind movement is authentic.

Hi Lukas. The dial has been refinished by someone with no regard to the original. If it pleases you, then congratulations on your purchase. For most enthusiasts here, a watch with such a dial would have little value as it is inauthentic.

The movement inside may well be 'authentic.' Fortis would likely have bought in the movement for such a watch of the period and price point and while they may in this instance (without seeing it's hard to say…) have signed it Fortis, it was almost certainly made by another company. This is no bad thing, just the way the majority of the volume watch business works. For your information, at the higher end of the scale, companies - take Omega, for instance - make their own unique movements and this adds value in the eyes of most watch collectors. Going back to your watch, the question of absolute 'authenticity' is therefore a bit more complicated. The dial isn't. The movement may be or not. The case may be or not.

But anyway. If the watch pleases you, then you've made the right choice. What most here see, though, is a watch which has been refinished in a way that I daresay most here would find unappealing. There are factories in India (and other countries where wages are low) whose output is this sort of thing. If you paid a low amount, once again, great. But its longer term resale value to the overall marketplace and to others enthusiasts/collectors would be slight.

Not trying to be horrible or spoil your day, by all means enjoy your watch; I hope that you understand my comments were, ultimately, meant to help inform and broaden your knowledge of the vintage market. Visually, this is more typical of what Oris produced at this price point.
    sumanbhadra likes this.

Thanks for your insight! You mean Oris instead of Fortis? I mean it was $30 so I can't really go wrong unless it breaks quickly. Oris is engraved on the caseback, so I'm guessing the whole case is Oris. I'm not too crazy about the dial, I really like the hands though (I'm sure they aren't original lol). Atleast the movement does say swiss made, but doesn't say Oris. I asked him if the movement was the original movement inside this case. I wonder if I could paint over the dial haha.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Oris Handwind (Ebay)

I suspect that you start to see the issues involved here and why members are cautious. It is possible to buy a good original watch that has been refurbished.

However just recently I've noticed a new trend. It seems that the supply of original watches which can be refurbished (badly) and have the dials repainted and engravings added has run dry. Now low grade watches of no particular origin are receiving new paint to the dials and engravings to movement and case back with an imaginative variety of Swiss names. No big Swiss names which would set the alarm bells ringing. Just mid grade names like Oris and Roamer.

Buyer beware.
    Last edited by Mirius; June 5th, 2015 at 23:02.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Frey View Post
    I asked him if the movement was the original movement inside this case. I wonder if I could paint over the dial haha.
    Beware the vague reply. Yes the movement is likely to be original to the case. It doesn't mean that either movement or case was originally Oris. Some sellers make a living from misdirection and suggestion.

Ah the "jungle" edition with the nice metallic green dial

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information