Oris Pointer Date - educating myself about how to buy one on eBay
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RPCVYemen

Thread: Oris Pointer Date - educating myself about how to buy one on eBay

Oris Pointer Date - educating myself about how to buy one on eBay

I really like what I have seen of Oris Pointer Date watches. I have relatively small one (maybe 32-33 mm) that I bought some time ago, but I would like a 40mm or so for my tired eyes (also more interested in automatic because they seem cool - my current is a handwind).

I decide the best way to under the price of such watches was to participate in eBay auctions, offering what I expected to be reasonable but pretty low bids. I live in the US, so I mostly look at US bids - I don’t know if there os some kind of black market or fake market for watches from Thailand, Japan or Belgium. Please let me know if my concerns are unwarranted.

I participated in an auction today - I did not have the highest bid, but I was surprised that the higher bid was only $455 (I had a high bid of $450).

The watch was listed as an “Oris Big Crown Pointer Date 7543 Watch” 40 mm, with an Oris 754 SW 200-1 movement, and it looked to be in pretty good shape. The owner claimed that on his wrist, it was +3sec/day.

I thought the watch would go for $600, and I bid $450 just to watch the auction.

Did high bidder get an extremely good deal, or is $455 a pretty reasonable price for a watch like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oris-Big-Cr...-/152813194782

I am not mourning “the one that got away”, I am trying to get a reasonable idea of what these watches for for in general, for future bids.

Thanks.

Re: Oris Pointer Date - educating myself about how to buy one on eBay

I doubt that anyone on the forum knows the exact selling price of this model of the top of their head, especially since it's not even a vintage watch (new price $736 on grey market: https://www.jomashop.com/oris-big-cr...43-4064ls.html). What we would do is to use the eBay advanced search feature to search for SOLD items. I suggest you give that a try and let us know if you have any questions.

Also, I don't know the other forums very well, but maybe there is another forum where the members might be more familiar with new watches like this one.
    Last edited by badbackdan; December 11th, 2017 at 05:48.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks very much. The fact that I did not know that this watch was not a vintage watch speaks to how much I have to learn. I saw the auction, saw the low starting bid, and guessed that it was an older watch.
    esdy_11192 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RPCVYemen View Post
    Thanks very much. The fact that I did not know that this watch was not a vintage watch speaks to how much I have to learn. I saw the auction, saw the low starting bid, and guessed that it was an older watch.
    There are several recent Oris Pointer Date models discussed over in the Oris forum in this and other threads. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/sho...e-2232241.html

Oris has used the Pointer Date complication for decades. I've enjoyed that very model for about 2 years. The attention to detail is impressive.

There are fakes about though so beware, it seems a counterfeit favorite along with Fortis and Rado, be safe and buy from a dealer if you are unsure.

Thread Information