Oris Vitage Style Military Watch - hand are out of sync - any guesses as to cost of repair?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Oris Vitage Style Military Watch - hand are out of sync - any guesses as to cost of repair?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Oris Vitage Style Military Watch - hand are out of sync - any guesses as to cost of repair?

My Citizen Eco Drive gave up the ghost a couple of days ago, and I an old Oris Pointer Date watch out of my sock drawer. I bought it off of EBay 7 or 8 years ago, and when banished to to the sock drawer was that the hour and the minute hand are out of sync - when the minute hand is at 12:00, the hour hand between two numbers. Right now, the minute hand is on the 12, and the hour hand is halfway between 9 and 10 ( where it should be if it was 9:30).

The hour hand isn’t flopping around loose - it’s just not synchronized. I vague recall mailing it to a watch repair shop right after the problem became apparent, and he said that that was to be expected in an old watch.

It’s an attractive watch - a little small 33mm diameter, and I can read the date because the are at the circumeference.

From that vague description is is possible to guess how much it will cost to repair it? At least in the ballpark? It wasn’t a particularly expensive watch, but I sort of like it.

If the respair was $100, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I’d probably pause at $150, and for $200, I would really want to know that it was likely to keep functioning for a number of years.

I have attached a picture of the watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Oris Vitage Style Military Watch - hand are out of sync - any guesses as to cost of repair?

If I am understanding you correctly, it is just a simple and inexpensive adjustment to align the hands correctly. However, one might ask how this situation came to be in the first place. Is one of the hands loose on its post? Are the hands are interfering with each other? If so, then your watchmaker can re-align the hands, but the problem will recur.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Oris Vitage Style Military Watch - hand are out of sync - any guesses as to cost of repair?

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    If I am understanding you correctly, it is just a simple and inexpensive adjustment to align the hands correctly. However, one might ask how this situation came to be in the first place. Is one of the hands loose on its post? Are the hands are interfering with each other? If so, then your watchmaker can re-align the hands, but the problem will recur.
    Thanks - I don’t think they are loose or colliding. My wife is going to take it to a jewelry store tomorrow that has a huge watch repair business. I don’t think that they sell Oris, but maybe they will be able to fix it relatively inexpensively.
    badbackdan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would not recommend taking it to a jewelry store with a huge watch repair business; in fact, that's the last place I would take it. I strongly recommend that you find an independent watchmaker.
    mkws, tinknocker and bmfang like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I would not recommend taking it to a jewelry store with a huge watch repair business; in fact, that's the last place I would take it. I strongly recommend that you find an independent watchmaker.
    I agree, the hands also have to be set so the cal changes at 12 midnight... nice watch

Quote Originally Posted by VESPASIAN View Post
    I agree, the hands also have to be set so the cal changes at 12 midnight... nice watch
    I like it. But I am also thinking about badbackdan’s point - what cause the hands to get out of sync? It seem like it would take a mechanical failure of some sort - it’s hard to imagine enough force being applied to the hands or something somewhere else in the mechanism to cause the gears to jump a few teeth or anything like that. Something must have caused this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RPCVYemen View Post
    I like it. But I am also thinking about badbackdan’s point - what cause the hands to get out of sync? It seem like it would take a mechanical failure of some sort - it’s hard to imagine enough force being applied to the hands or something somewhere else in the mechanism to cause the gears to jump a few teeth or anything like that. Something must have caused this issue.
    Last watchmaker guy was drunk.
    bmfang and DC guy like this.

The watch repair man adjusted the hands for free, and took a look at the movement. He said that the “key pinion” (or “key and pinion” - I am getting this second hand - I didn’t take it to the store) were worn, and the watch was pretty likely to stop working in the next couple of years. He said that servicing the movement would cost $375, and that would include replacing the key pinion. I didn’t think it was worth that much to me - the watch is a little small for my taste, and I think that makes more sense to me to see if I can find a 38mm or larger Oris Pointer Date on eBay and purchase that.

hmmmm the old key and pinion story...

Quote Originally Posted by RPCVYemen View Post
    He said that servicing the movement would cost $375, and that would include replacing the key pinion.
    Wonder if that watchmaker would care to recommend the variety of weed that he's smoking, because that valuation sounds quite delusional.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information