The other watch that turned up yesterday was...
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The other watch that turned up yesterday was...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The other watch that turned up yesterday was...

... yes, you may have guessed...... another Borgel!!!!

And... yet again.... no idea on the movement..... anyone getting fed up of these threads yet?

This is however a 'little' different.....

From the sellers pics... this was a bit of a gamble... and thought it was coming on another ladies strap....

Then I put it on:

and quite quickly came to the conclusion that if this was a 'ladies' strap... she would have to have pretty big arm... with it on, the bracelet fits with 3 spare notches:

on the last notch... would fit a 9" wrist...

As I hinted at above, this is a bit smaller than my other Borgels at a manly 30.5mm diameter..

The size of 30mm is certainly on the smaller side of average borgel gents watches.... but with the style of lumed dial/hands... Im confident its a gents watch... I mentioned this to David (Boettcher) and he sent me an interesting advert....

and said:

Re. your little Borgel - this extract from a 1918 Harrods advert (which I may have sent you) shows that they were selling "standard" Borgels at three pounds three shillings, the same as the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company. They were also offering it in a smaller size with a higher grade movement for five pounds, considerably more. As I am sure you know, watches in the 1930s got smaller, partly as a result of the world wide recession following the Wall Street crash, but as this advert from 1918 shows, smaller watches were being offered even at that time.

Moving inside the case...

You may have noticed the lack of Sponsor/import marks. I can only assume this was produced for sale in Switzerland. It carries the Swiss 'Bear' for silver, which was used between 1882 and 1934.

Looking at the movement, as seen many times before... no real clear markings!

Dial very clean.... in terms of no chips/hairlines...

Taking a closer look at the movement... still not real clues!

The movement size is 11''' at 25mm in diameter... hoping someone can spot what it is

Cheers chaps... info/thoughts welcomed!
    Marrick and bubba48 like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: The other watch that turned up yesterday was...

Another terrific buy. And well done for not letting the strap put you off. I agree it must have been a man's strap; an alternative to leather and very functional.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Excellent and really like the strap, yet another thread of yours that I'll follow with great interest. Congrats on yet another super acquisition!
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Another terrific buy. And well done for not letting the strap put you off. I agree it must have been a man's strap; an alternative to leather and very functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    Excellent and really like the strap, yet another thread of yours that I'll follow with great interest. Congrats on yet another super acquisition!
    Cheers Gents,

Not quite sure im man enough to pull this strap off without getting some odd looks (no more than usual..... i know)... But, I dont really want to take the strap off.

The 'mesh' design makes me think of an early bonklip... in terms of being robust! it certainly weighty....
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Your manly wrists show it off to good effect!

Actually it's the same width as the straight leather strap, so despite our preconceptions it looks good. I'm sure you can pull it off

how many does this make it now Marc, you must have some collection growing now or have you been selling as well. Not my kind of strap if it was wider would be a different matter. Still have a look now and then at the trench watch but seem steep in price the ones I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Your manly wrists show it off to good effect!

Actually it's the same width as the straight leather strap, so despite our preconceptions it looks good. I'm sure you can pull it off
    Actually its not.... the lugs are 10.5mm... and the main length of bracelet is a massive 8mm wide!

Just a thought... with the correct 'bund'..... this might work!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sorry, ugh. That strap is not for me - lots of support in this thread from others though.

As for the movement, I've seen it before - but no time to look atm.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    how many does this make it now Marc, you must have some collection growing now or have you been selling as well.
    A couple.......

Only parted with a 1 or 2 of the trench watches....

Still have quite a few to post.... with some gems!!! My 'Borgel' collection is certainly growing.... but I may sell a couple that need minor attention...

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Sorry, ugh. That strap is not for me - lots of support in this thread from others though.

As for the movement, I've seen it before - but no time to look atm.
    LOL... can always rely on a blunt, honest response!

I also recognise the movement.... reminds me of a seahorse sniffing the balance cock....

If you have a spare moment though.... if no one beats you to it!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information