overwhelmed - guidelines needed

Thread: overwhelmed - guidelines needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

overwhelmed - guidelines needed

Hello,

Recently I inherited small collection of wrist watches. There are 20+ watches in collection and brands are Tissot, Favre Leuba, Vulcain, Juvenia. I was told that watches are aprox. form period 1970-1990. Some have, I think, original straps (marked strap and buckle) and some even have price/stock tags. On top of that I got some literature and catalog. As total newb to watches I would appreciate some guidelines from experienced people. Most of collection are mechanical watches and few are battery powered. I will probably left few pieces as sentimental value and rest will be traded or sold. In literature I got I failed to find any piece from collection, in there are many pieces from same brand and with wide range of prices but not one from collection. I went to local watchmaker but he wasnt able to help me, except some vague proposal to sell him whole collection for some ridiculously little sum.
    I decided to find more info about watches from collection before I do anything with them and I would be very thankful for any guidelines/information which will help me to do that.

Thank you for any help.

Re: overwhelmed - guidelines needed

Please post photos of each watch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
    Please post photos of each watch.
    +1. Valuations are not allowed here, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The easiest way to get fair value for them is to post them one at a time on ebay with close up (and focused) photos.

If you want to spend more time, research ebay completed auctions and try selling them (again with good photos) on sales corners of various watch forums.

Being able to list them as working and keeping time will increase their value .. so decide if you're prepared to get them to that state (ie new batteries and get them serviced if needed)

Depending on how you value your time, your watchmaker's offer may not seem so ridiculously low. A saying that is growing into a mantra on here is that just because it is old, doesn't mean it's valuable (it's definitely true of my 10 year old minivan).
    Last edited by bjohnson; February 1st, 2010 at 23:49.

Definately take and post up some photos....be interesting to see what you've got?!!

That era of watches isn't known for its high collectability; the swiss watch industry was in the midst of a major meltdown, and most brands were scrambling to find their place in the new world order. The vast majority didn't survive, and many of the ones that did survive only did so on paper as cogs in the mighty Swatch machine. Plus, the styling of the seventies was ... interesting. But who knows, that may come back in style.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you!

Second: you'll need to invest a bit of time and effort to maximize what sort of returns you might get for your watches.

First, categorize them according to brand; then take a digital picture of the face of the watch (the closer the better, but better to have it in focus if your camera doesn't move in that close!) and the back if there is a display back, i.e. you can see the movement. If you can't it's not as important, but it would help.

Second: resize the picture to a moderate size (800x600 should do it) and either use a hosting site like photobucket to upload and link them here, or make them a tad smaller and post them directly here.

Third, give us a short description of any writing or other markings on the watches.

Fourth, you can get a broad feeling for prices by searching for those watches on eBay, looking for auctions that have been completed (you can get to that option by going to the advanced search function in eBay: you don't need to be a member!) for that particular model of watch.

Fifth, once you've identified the model and what it has sold for on eBay, you might want to try selling it here: we have a sales forum that targets our members here (and we have literally tens of thousands!).

Sixth, let us know how we can help! While we won't be able to take the work off your hands, we can help you identify the watch, tell you what sort of shape it is in, and above all accompany you through figuring out what you have got there!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thank you all for comments, advice and directions. It is nice to know that there is people who want to help.

I took photos but there are so many so I uploaded all to photobucket and below is link to that album

http://s847.photobucket.com/albums/a...sbucket/watch/

As advised I roamed ebay, few other auction sites, forums, and few online shops with watches from same period. Result is quite confusing because I didnt found exact pieces but I found many from same brands and price range is from 50$ - 500$.
    I checked "Complete price guide to watches" (got it with watches) but no luck there too.
    I dont consider listing watches on ebay because 1. my country dont have possibility to sell on ebay (only buy) 2. I want to sell all at once and not piece by piece.
    I will categorize, write all markings and test if they work but I am not eager to open them because there is risk of scratches.

Valuations are not allowed here and I respect that, but when you see pictures maybe someone will be able to direct me to literature/auction/site where I could find more info.

Thank you in advance.

Hi -

Interesting group of watches indeed: some great brand names in there.

If you can't use eBay to sell (where are you from?) then you might contemplate using our own sales forum.

Given that these appear to be NOS (New Old Stock, ie watches that are older, but were never sold), you're right not to open them to avoid scratches...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I am from Croatia. I can and "cant" use Ebay. I can list items but "cant" use Paypal to receive payment (for my country that isnt possible yet). In past I listed few "non watch" items but everyone prefer Paypal for payment so I had lot of interest but I sold none and only because lack of convinient (secure and hassle free) way for people to send payment.
    Now, I writing descriptions for each piece and runing working/not woriking and keeping/not keeping time tests so that way I will have some data for further investigation.
    I will try to acquire some watchmaker tools for safe and scratchfree opening. That way I will probably have more info about movements which will direct me further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information