Parts for Waltham Vanguard
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Parts for Waltham Vanguard

Parts for Waltham Vanguard

I have a very nice old Waltham Vanguard that has served me well. I was just admiring it last night, today I found it had quit running. I had recently bought a watch repair tool kit because I wanted to start doing some of my own maintenance. I got the watch apart. And I was correct that the mainspring was broke. But I couldn't get the mainspring housing apart, long story short I ended up ruining the mainspring housing getting it apart.

So now I need a usable housing and a new mainspring. Any ideas on where to source these parts?

Re: Parts for Waltham Vanguard

Check with some watchmakers.

Check ebay for a movement that has the parts you need. You can also check Dave's watch parts or other similar sites.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

parris001...I agree with tinknocker @ the recommendation for Dave's Watch Parts. Still, the barrel may be difficult to find by itself...the spring will be no problem.

Do be careful working on the Vanguard...especially if it's an 18s: the re-assembly is NOT easy for someone new to it...the 16s is much easier, although any of these higher-Grade Walthams require an experienced hand at the bench!

Feel free to PM me with any questions...I know these watches well. Michael.

Post some pictures.
    And what do you mean by 'ruined'? It's not that east to ruin a barrel - did you break off the barrel wall hook or something?
    Vanguards definitely are not watches to learn on - without some experience you will scratch plates, leave nasty fingerprints and break parts. Of course, even after a few years I still leave a mark or two from time to time, but surely, one gets better and better with every repair...
    Buy some cheap movements for practicing, I suggest :) .

Actually - I have a Vanguard 18s 23j watch in need of routine maintnance, but despite I've not done any serious damage to a watch during routine servicing for a long time now, I'm still afraid to touch it, in case I damage the precious piece of watchmaking maestria (yes, this early Vanguard is truly a wonderful watch movement, very well made). I just don't wind it, that's all...

Name:  Kopia DSC072951.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  199.3 KB

Back to your watch - is it this full plate model or a later 16 size?
    And post pictures of the barrel - maybe it's repairable?
    Last edited by pmwas; November 10th, 2017 at 14:41.
    Have a great day!!!

pmwas...these are really straight-forward to work on: easy, actually...HOWEVER: be very careful during assembly when it comes to the pallet fork; for some Very Strange Reason, there are well-meaning folks who want to assemble this style of 18s watch on the pillar plate, and lower the top plate onto it...OUCH!

Assemble the train on the top plate, & lower the pillar plate onto it...the pallet fork can rather easily be guided into place, and, once all the pivots are aligned with their jewels, the pillar plate will settle into place; the movement may then be flipped over, & the plate screws snugged down, making sure all pivots are safely home. That's it. Easy!

Oh: speaking personally, I always try to replace half-head case screws with full-head: I think half-head screws were designed by a watch-hating Demon from Hades.

Michael.
    pmwas likes this.

:) - yes the half headed screws are dangerous.

As for this 1892 - yes, they are easy to work on, as most American full plates. European watchmakers more used to bridge design say it's very difficult to assemble all parts between just two plates at once, but I think it's very easy.
    As for this Vanguard it's just that it does not need servicing badly - I even took the dial off to check for rust and stain there - none.
    It would need new oils, but - since I don't want to use it - nothing will happen if that waits. And you know - things happen, parts get lost, watches get dropped (I only once in my life dropped a movement I was working on and that hurts...), not to mention screwdriver slips (and there are many cap jewels to remove on this one) for example and... I just don't want to risk. It's psychological - I know I'd do fine, but I just don't want to touch it. same think with my Hamilton 920 in similar state - clean, dry, just old oils in it...

Thanks!!!
    Have a great day!!!

Thread Information