Parts Watches what's to far?

Thread: Parts Watches what's to far?

Parts Watches what's to far?

I bought an Elgin 760 that turned out to be non repairable. I was able to locate an older 760 movement that had been taken out of a gold watch. The movement I had put in is actually superior to the original because it does'nt have the cost savings feature that caused the original movement to self destruct. Is it safe to call it original? While I was looking for a movement I saw a chonograph movement on offer from a quite valuble watch. Recently I came across a NOS stainless steel case, dial, and crown from the same manufacturer assuming it's a match would it be legitmate to construct a watch. I'm not thinking about doing it but with the number of movements available what's to far?

Re: Parts Watches what's to far?

I wouldn't call it original if the movement was replaced with a movement which was not exactly the same as the original.

I'd be more likely to say it was a watch with a better version of the original movement installed.

To me when something is billed as original I understand it to be what came in the watch.

Constructing watches out of parts is fine, but I don't think calling them original is right.

I agree original should be what came with the watch, case in point the other day an episode or American Chopper was screened on TV and some guy had an old Indian motorcycle that Orange County wanted fully restoring, the guy doing the work cleaned it, de-rusted it and got it all working ,that is original but I believe plans were then to completely repaint and restore it anyway! Sacrilage I would say but hey that's just my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a honest person so in the first case I would represent it as an Elgin 760 restored with a high grade 760 movement from a scrapped gold watch. That would explain the serial number style mismatch. The second case I wouldn't get involved with. I think the best description would be a watch made up of a salvaged movment placed in a NOS case

If the watch made from disparate parts is for my own use then it seems moot, and I can call it Fernando if I want. If the suggestion is to make a watch and sell it or represent it as original then I see that as ethically wrong. Original is everything that came with it from the factory.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

The problem comes when someone is selling a switched watch. The one doing the 'modification' might be honest about it and tell the next owner, but from there we have no guarantees at all. We have seen on this forum many times new people coming into our area of interest, and then sadly see that they have bought some frankenwatch because they lacked the information needed. Any new members of the forum reading this: Make sure you know what you are buying. If you don't know, ask! We don't want to give the fakers more business!
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I would call it a restoration with original era parts since the movement is clearly from the same era it shouldn't really affect value but I would keep the original mvt to prove it's history. I have several watches that have service marks and there is no telling what parts have been changed but they are for all practical purposes considered original. This is just my opinion
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Banned

Original is only that if all the original parts that were sold with the watch are still in it - other than normal maintenance replacements like mainspring, strap, etc. I want to know EVERYTHING that's been done to a watch if I can. I'll wait years to buy the perfect example, and prefer a watch that's never been serviced which has sat in a drawer for years. I"ll take care of it after purchase with my contacts because I know that the watch will be done correctly without unnecessary replacement or excess cosmetic work.

If your watch has original movement inside (in your case Elgin cal.760) that was cased in the same case in that time I would say that the watch is original.

What would happened if Elgin cased this same movement that you call replacement earlier? It would be original to us now

If you say that this watch is cal.760 you would not lie to the buyer...

igorfiume

Thread Information