Patek Philippe 3445
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By radger

Thread: Patek Philippe 3445

Question Patek Philippe 3445

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have recently decided to purchase a 1960 patek philippe 3445. I was looking to try to get one that had a more interesting dial than the common gold or silver dial with gold Batton markers. I do not want to wear it everyday but hope to keep it for a few years. I was looking for a yellow gold watch with patina to indicate that it has not been polished. I found one that I like but there is something that bothers me. When I inspect the screw-down back on some examples I see 2 or 3 stamped halmarks or assay markings on the external surface. On others I see no external markings on the Screw-back. Is this sign that the watch has been polished or did Patek make some watches with marks on the external surface of the screwback and others without? All watches appear to have a hallmark on the main watch case under one of the lugs. I would really appreciate some guidance before I go and purchase a duffer!

Thanks in anticipation!!

Re: Patek Philippe 3445

Welcome to the forum! Please be aware that most questions are best answered when PHOTOS are provided
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Yes, pictures are essential. You are right to be very careful with a purchase of such an expensive watch - there are many fakes out there.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks understood. Here are 4 pictures off of the backs of different 3445s. I do not believe that any are fake but if you look at the pictures they are different. The first two have no hallmarks while the last two have 2 marks and 3 marks respectively. The two with no hallmarks have a round concentric swirl patern while the two withmarks have no swirl. I am confused as to why there appear to be 3 different backs on the same model.

EDITED to TRY to UPLOAD IMAGES for a 3rd time. Sorry they did not load in the order I described above but you should be able to work it out from the photos. I am concerned about the watched without hallmarks as shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by IggyB; September 5th, 2012 at 02:23. Reason: Pictures did not upload

What I learned in my beginner collecting journey - never buy a watch if you dont know each and every aspect of it . Especially a PP with a value, would worth investing some weeks reading and searching forums before buying. My costly bad experience, brought me into this idea.

Thanks...I have added images now in case you want to look

P.P would never put out a watch with these machine marks on the case back, so it is either a fake or
    a non original case back or most likely a jeweller has made a poor job of removing an engraving.
    If the watch is genuine it should be offered with a substantial discount.
    IggyB likes this.

Thank you radger, that is what I suspected. I was of the opinion that they had removed previous engravings but was not sure.

Thread Information