Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

Thread: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Hello,

    Ran across this on Ebay. I'm a little wary because the seller has no history. Any thoughts?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PATEK-PHILIPPE_W0QQitemZ200431135119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZP ocket_Watches?hash=item2eaaa0698f

    BTW...I just purchased my first vintage watch! A Rolex Oyster DateJust 6466. Its a little small but I love the style.
    Last edited by ImBonVivant; January 26th, 2010 at 18:17.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    637

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    I too picked up a vintage Rolex a while ago!!

    Re Patek: Seller only has three feedback. If I where you I would steer clear. However some out there may risk it.


    If you actually go for the deal, be sure to pay through paypal and see if your covered to get all your money back!

  3. #3
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,873

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jipstar View Post
    I too picked up a vintage Rolex a while ago!!

    Re Patek: Seller only has three feedback. If I where you I would steer clear. However some out there may risk it.


    If you actually go for the deal, be sure to pay through paypal and see if your covered to get all your money back!
    Have to go along with that advice. As for the watch, at least the movement looks genuine. Here is some more info about it:

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ighlight=patek

    Hartmut Richter

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jipstar View Post
    I too picked up a vintage Rolex a while ago!!

    Re Patek: Seller only has three feedback. If I where you I would steer clear. However some out there may risk it.


    If you actually go for the deal, be sure to pay through paypal and see if your covered to get all your money back!
    Let me correct a common misconception... you can pay for eBay auctions via PayPal and, if fraud or the like occurs, PayPal will TRY to get you your money back.

    But if the seller already has the money withdrawn from PayPal and no subsequent monies appear in the seller's account, as I understand it, you are out of luck.

    NEVER bid on a questionable auction thinking it is safe just because you use PayPal... do your diligence up front. Don't bid if you are not willing to loose the money...

    Besides, the PayPal guarantee is only for $200 unless the seller meets special conditions... which a new vendor can not meet.

    In any case, it is pretty risky to go around buying expensive merchandise with which you are not familiar... but it's your money.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    608

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Good point, Eeeb. I'm not sure if I would risk it.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    I agree. I think I'm going to look into that Ebay protection plan I have seen.

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Middle of Hurricane Alley
    Posts
    21,244

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Is it the same watch Krystof got all info about from us?

  9. #8
    Member Barnaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, baby! Yeah!!!
    Posts
    548

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Is it the same watch Krystof got all info about from us?
    No. The inner caseback markings are different, along with other things.

    Still, it's a nice-looking one. I wouldn't, however, risk it.

  10. #9
    Member mrsnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchAdct View Post
    Good point, Eeeb. I'm not sure if I would risk it.
    As long as you always fund a Paypal payment with your credit card and document all your conversions with the seller through the eBay email system (do not answer queries directly, as eBay will not have these on record if there should be a problem), you should be fine. Your credit card company will back you up if Paypal does not. I have gotten a lot of great deals off eBay by taking a good chance on sellers that others were scared away from. My $800 mint Speedmaster was one of them.
    "My grail showed up today"

  11. #10
    Member vmmvmmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    437

    Re: Patek Phillipe on Ebay. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Let me correct a common misconception... you can pay for eBay auctions via PayPal and, if fraud or the like occurs, PayPal will TRY to get you your money back.

    But if the seller already has the money withdrawn from PayPal and no subsequent monies appear in the seller's account, as I understand it, you are out of luck.

    NEVER bid on a questionable auction thinking it is safe just because you use PayPal... do your diligence up front. Don't bid if you are not willing to loose the money...

    Besides, the PayPal guarantee is only for $200 unless the seller meets special conditions... which a new vendor can not meet.

    In any case, it is pretty risky to go around buying expensive merchandise with which you are not familiar... but it's your money.

    You haven't looked at eBay lately, have you? Check out their new coverage. You can't miss the announcement on the home page. It's much more comprehensive. Basically, you're covered.
    - Greg

    Connect with me on Instagram:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •