Patina...or just dirt?
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Patina...or just dirt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patina...or just dirt?

Patina is one of those subjects that can cause anger in many circles. And it's also a somewhat misused term; by definition it refers to surface discoloration occuring due to the various factors associated with ageing, so it doesn't really apply to "Damage". And while sometimes it can be aesthetically pleasing, in other cases it can be highly detrimental to the item (iron oxide being a good example).

At any rate, I picked up this relic of the jewel wars of early 60's the other day. Lots of "Patina".
    Name:  DSC_9467.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  108.1 KB

Its on the medium-high end of the absurd as far as jewel counts go; there were higher counts out there, but most retailers tried to keep it in the 30-40 range.

I was torn on if I should try to clean the dial. This is a hit or miss activity at the best of times; but after a bit of gentle cleaning (q-tip and saliva to start), it seemed that this particular variant is some combination of old laquer and possibly nicotine. Turned out rather nice:

Name:  DSC_9478.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  101.7 KB

Its always scary trying to clean these; one wrong move and the dial is ruined. But when it works, the results can be great!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Patina...or just dirt?

Holy moly, 41 jewels! Even the winding stem hole must have one! Nice cleaning job.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Holy moly, 41 jewels! Even the winding stem hole must have one! Nice cleaning job.
    Not the winding stem no, but check this blinged out minute wheel, yo!
    Name:  DSC_9475.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  40.2 KB
    Last edited by AbslomRob; August 5th, 2015 at 22:37.
    Parptarf, Shum, redcow and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks great! By "self winding" I guess they mean automatic but what is meant by "solar"?
    busmatt likes this.

Man, you want to swap those babies out for LEDs. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Not the winding stem no, but check this blinged out minute wheel, yo!
    Name:  DSC_9475.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  40.2 KB
    ShaggyDog and bobbee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebandit View Post
    Looks great! By "self winding" I guess they mean automatic but what is meant by "solar"?
    "Solar" was one of the house brands of T. Eatons of Canada (a mail order department store similar to Sears). They started using "Solar" back in the 20's or so, when it simply referenced the sun (which is the source of much of our concept of time) and not "solar power" as we know it today.
    lovebandit and busmatt like this.

I agree "patina" is a badly used word, a bit like "mint"

In my opinion your dial was distressed, nothing to do with 'patina; a beautiful natural aging
    a
    marks55 and busmatt like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

But seeing as Eaton's also used to retail Rolex under their own name ('Solar Aqua,' to name just one, as we've previously discussed), I'm fascinated to know whose movement was used in this incarnation of the Solar name. And whatever did those jewels do on the minute wheel, aside from add to the count? Was the idea that they might have acted as bearing surfaces, and reduced friction in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    "Solar" was one of the house brands of T. Eatons of Canada (a mail order department store similar to Sears). They started using "Solar" back in the 20's or so, when it simply referenced the sun (which is the source of much of our concept of time) and not "solar power" as we know it today.
    Tucayjordan and busmatt like this.

The dial turned out great. I have a Tugaris with a 41 jewel Eta waiting to be cleaned up.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    But seeing as Eaton's also used to retail Rolex under their own name ('Solar Aqua,' to name just one, as we've previously discussed), I'm fascinated to know whose movement was used in this incarnation of the Solar name. And whatever did those jewels do on the minute wheel, aside from add to the count? Was the idea that they might have acted as bearing surfaces, and reduced friction in some way?
    This particular one has "Gallet" on the caseback; Eatons had a long history with Gallet starting back with the Eatons brand pocket watches.

As for the jewels on the minute wheel, they don't appear to do (or even be able to do) anything. The jewel is totally recessed in the wheel, so they can't touch anything. There's another wheel in this movement that's the same:
    Name:  DSC_9476.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  142.5 KB

Its an AS 1700 movement in a 25 jewel configuration (which is pretty decent); there are lots of jewels in good places too. Both the autowind reducer gears have internal jewels, for example:
    Name:  DSC_9473.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  73.2 KB

They just needed to up the ante, I guess, and that was the easiest way to do it. It has "41 Jewels" engraved on the rotor, so it was a factory spec. This came into Canada, so I suspect there wasn't any actual law about jewels needing to be "Functional" like in the US. I had thought Switzerland had something about it, but I guess not.
    bobbee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information