Paul Buhre movements

Thread: Paul Buhre movements

johndozier

Paul Buhre movements

Who made the movements used in Buhre wristwatches? Were they in house, or sourced from someone else? If outsourced, from where? Thanks

Re: Paul Buhre movements

Looks like they rolled their own except for complicated watches.
    http://www.p-buhre.com/story.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

johndozier

Ray, do you know if this held true with their automatic WWs, those from the 50s and 60s? Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what watch you are talking about. For wristwatches Buhre used a lot of Swiss movements from ETA, A. Schild, Felsa, etc.

johndozier

Thanks for the help. I do not own the watch, but am considering buying it and was attempting to get some handle on the quality of the movement. I am attempting to obtain additional info. In the meantime, how is the quality of Buhre WWs? Average, superb, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by johndozier View Post
    Thanks for the help. I do not own the watch, but am considering buying it and was attempting to get some handle on the quality of the movement. I am attempting to obtain additional info. In the meantime, how is the quality of Buhre WWs? Average, superb, etc.
    Depends on the watch. The range was as wide as between Ingersol and Longines. Data is necessary for conclusions. Recent watches would probably be Swiss average for their era... but that is just a guess based on the law of averages. Any watch bought on such a basis should be d**n cheap.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by johndozier View Post
    When purchasing a vintage watch the quality is a function of three things:
    1. The initial quality of the watch from the manufacturer which in the case of Buhre would generally be good. Since we have no idea what movement is actually in the watch you are talking about it's impossible to say much more.
    2. The treatment the watch has had over the years, i.e., was it regularly & properly serviced?, did it suffer abuse?, has moisture entered the watch?, any corrosion? does the movement appear dirty? etc. Only a close inspection of the watch can answer these questions.
    3. Current condition. Has the movement been recently & properly serviced? If not expect that the watch will need a service to run accurately & reliably. Also, don't simply take the word of the seller on this. If there is no evidence of a service, e.g., a receipt, etc., then assume the watch has not been serviced.

If you post some pictures of the watch that you are considering perhaps more could be said.

Thread Information