Paul Ditisheim Help?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Paul Ditisheim Help?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paul Ditisheim Help?

I just purchased this watch at auction to keep the scrappers from melting it down. I have been able to find some history on Paul Ditisheim, Solvil, and Titus. This watch is only marked Paul Ditisheim, no Titus or Solvil. I have not been able to date it, the serial number on the movements and the case match and Paul's name appears on the face, the case (back door) and the movements. I gave it a quarter turn to wind it and the thing still works, but could probably use a good cleaning. Any information that could date this piece and anything else will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zoaran
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: Paul Ditisheim Help?

The clip on the strap looks very Art Deco-ish.
    1930ies?

(I am just guessing)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoaran View Post
    I just purchased this watch at auction to keep the scrappers from melting it down. I have been able to find some history on Paul Ditisheim, Solvil, and Titus. This watch is only marked Paul Ditisheim, no Titus or Solvil. I have not been able to date it, the serial number on the movements and the case match and Paul's name appears on the face, the case (back door) and the movements. I gave it a quarter turn to wind it and the thing still works, but could probably use a good cleaning. Any information that could date this piece and anything else will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zoaran
    If it helps, the serial number is 101338, it says 17 ruby jewel 5 adjustments, and swiss under Paul's name.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    The clip on the strap looks very Art Deco-ish.
    1930ies?

(I am just guessing)

Good guessing!
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Paul Ditisheim didn't only sell under the names "Solvil" and "Titus" - he also used "Ditis" and his own name ("Paul Ditisheim") as brands. I don't know whether they were graded by quality but this specimen seems to be of good enough quality - an upgraded FHF movement (something like the Cal. 30):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...0&2uswk&FHF_30

If it still works, have it done up and use it - I certainly would!

Hartmut Richter

Ok, and thanks for the link. So an artdeco band possibly 30s and a fair quality watch. Would this be considered a pendant style watch? And the serial number is killing me. Is there a site that has dating by serial number like Waltham and Illinois watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoaran View Post
    Ok, and thanks for the link. So an artdeco band possibly 30s and a fair quality watch. Would this be considered a pendant style watch? And the serial number is killing me. Is there a site that has dating by serial number like Waltham and Illinois watches?
    Hi Zoaran,

I don´t think there will be a similar database of serial numbers for your watch. However, I could tell you that Paul Dithisheim (and Solvil) wristwatches from that period are highly sought and appreciated.

Congrats

Kingmatic

Forgive my persistance. I am like a bloodhound when I get my mind set on something. I have looked at thousands of watches on too many websites now. Nothing that is described as art deco is remotely close to the style of this one. Nothing in the 20s and 30s looks remotely like this one. This is too plain to be one of those in my opinion. I even took it to an estate jeweler, who told me it is rose gold, not worth much but he would give me XXX bucks for it. I don't care how much it may be worth, I just want a more accurate estimate or exact date when this was made. It's a hang of mine, time. It's about to get tossed into a box of trinkets and forgotten. I hate loose ends.
    Last edited by Zoaran; April 14th, 2010 at 15:41. Reason: I forgot about not mentioning money here. Sorry

Oh yes, thank you all for the help so far, it's just that I have come upon a cold trail that dead ends.

Inactive

Ditis/Ditsheims seem to be pretty thin on the ground although according to the Wikipedia entry Paul Ditsheim appears to have been a pretty significant figure in the industry. I have just dug out this example which lacks a ssh but runs quite well from the first turn of the stem. By today's standards it's a tiny watch 37 x 22mm overall. Maybe the watches of this era have undergone the currently popular "trans" phenomenon: formerly men's watches, currently women's...
    Any ideas on the period (I'd guess early 1920s) and movement?
    Roy

Name:  Ditis-5220018.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  2.49 MB

Name:  Ditis-5220020.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  2.74 MB

Name:  Ditis-5220019.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  2.83 MB

Name:  Ditis-5220021.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by skridlov; May 22nd, 2017 at 16:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information