Pencil Replacement for Pocket Watch fob
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DON
  • 1 Post By Matthewlawson3

Thread: Pencil Replacement for Pocket Watch fob

Everyone I bought a pocket watch brass pencil holder fob from eBay and I'm wondering if I can get a replacement pencil for it. The problem is the pencil has screw grooves built into it to screw into the brass fob so I'm not for sure I could find a replacement, if needed. Any ideas?

See my pictures of it.

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Matthewlawson3; 1 Week Ago at 22:21.

Re: Pencil Replacement for Pocket Watch fob

My guess would be to get a pencil the same size and either swap over the brass fitting from the pencil you have there or get a tap and die set and thread the end of the new pencil to match. The second option would be less robust, but likely less labor intensive.

Thanks. It seems these pencils are hard to find so I hesitate to modify the pencil I have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DON

Odds are you may never use the pencil, so you may never need to replace it

However

Do you have a drill?

When pencil is used up. Drill out the inside of the brass ring a bit in order to reuse. Chuck a piece of pencil in drill point first and lightly hold tight to avoid damaging outside of pencil.

Sand paper to remove an area of pencil until it fits into brass ring (add a little dab of glue to hold)

No drill

Exacto knife and carving or chamfer the bottom edge of pencil and screw it into the brass holder (can shave a little around the pencil to make it easier)

DON
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Odds are you may never use the pencil, so you may never need to replace it

However

Do you have a drill?

When pencil is used up. Drill out the inside of the brass ring a bit in order to reuse. Chuck a piece of pencil in drill point first and lightly hold tight to avoid damaging outside of pencil.

Sand paper to remove an area of pencil until it fits into brass ring (add a little dab of glue to hold)

No drill

Exacto knife and carving or chamfer the bottom edge of pencil and screw it into the brass holder (can shave a little around the pencil to make it easier)

DON
    Thanks for the information.

I would like to save the original pencil and replace it with a replacement so that I can use the replacement pencil if needed when I carry the pencil holder on my pocket watch chain.

DON

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewlawson3 View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I would like to save the original pencil and replace it with a replacement so that I can use the replacement pencil if needed when I carry the pencil holder on my pocket watch chain.
    In that case. Same methods as above to remove some pencil material. Angle bottom edge (chamfer).

If the brass tube is solid enough. Screw pencil into tube

Other choice. Find out the TPI (threads per inch) of the brass piece and if available. Buy a screw nut and use it to cut threads on the end of the pencil

Number of different ways to fit it

DON

I was able to find some vintage refills. I have purchased three of them.
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information