Peter Debaufre pocket watch

Thread: Peter Debaufre pocket watch

Peter Debaufre pocket watch

Hello,

I am looking for information on a pocket watch that has been in our family for some time. The engravings on the watch read "672 Peter Debaufre London" and I have included some images below. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Peter Debaufre pocket watch

I know nothing about pocket watches, but to be going on with from:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=22169

Among the numerous French Protestant refugees who settled in Soho towards the close of the 17th century were the Debaufres, a family of very skilful French watchmakers. Peter Debaufre, who was in business in Church Street, Soho, from 1686 to 1720, was admitted into the Clockmakers' Company in 1689, and in 1704, in conjunction with Nicholas Facio and Jacob Debaufre, was granted a patent for the application of jewels to the pivot holes of watches and clocks. A few months later the patentees applied to Parliament for permission to extend the term of their patent, but the Bill was opposed by the Clockmakers' Company (fn. 8) on what appears to have been insufficient grounds, and was defeated. In 1704 the firm announced by advertisement that jewelled watches were to be seen at their shop; a watch bearing the name 'Debauffre' is in the Victoria and Albert Museum. Peter Debaufre also devised a dead-beat or 'club-footed' verge escapement which was adopted with some alterations by several other makers. James Debaufre became connected with the business in 1712 and carried it on at Church Street, Soho, until 1750.

Seems kinda special to me!

Yes, this is what I was able to come up with as well. It just makes me want to know more...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well it's a verge to be sure and from what Marrick has posted looks to be 1750 or earlier. Does the inside of the case have any hallmarks that would help with dating?
    Another historic watch. I'll be on the lookout for the Debaufre when I visit the V&A next month. Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Well it's a verge to be sure and from what Marrick has posted looks to be 1750 or earlier. Does the inside of the case have any hallmarks that would help with dating?
    Another historic watch. I'll be on the lookout for the Debaufre when I visit the V&A next month. Thanks for posting.
    sorry, this is off topic, but you could also see this Ellicot at the V&A. It belonged to Tipu Sultan, it is in the India gallery (cant remember if that is what it is called!).

Kind regards

Aditya

I'll watch out for it. Thanks for posting the picture.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

hello- I am interested in information relating to the Peter DeBaufre pocket watch. have done some research on the family, genealogy. Is it in your posession Jim because of a family "tie" with the maker? info posted regarding history matches with what I have also.
    Elisabeth

Peter DeBaufre (Pierre) was a French Hugenot Watchmaker already established in Paris circa 1675... he and his Brother Jacob, son James (Jacob) fled to London and were Nationalized in 1704.. Protestant Refugees.. He not only is credited with the club verge escapement, but also for patent application using jewels in the workings to extend wear, avoiding the less durable metal upon metal. He was a member of the Clockmaker's Company and The Hugenot Society. At some point, he recieved the title of Lord Peter, The family were watchmakers for generations and are quiite reknowned. The name occurs in most any hisrory of clockmaking. He was my 10th Great Grandfather. Examples of his works are among collections in several major Natiuonal Museums, England, France, Turkey, and US. You hold quite a "treasure".. thank you for posting,

Thread Information