PH Wolf
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: PH Wolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PH Wolf

I have a wire-lug watch. Case marked PH Wolf, Swiss, #766134. Can't find info, though found on on the bay.

Movement PH Wolf, 15 Jewels, 3 Adj
    Elem W Co Swiss
    Swiss Made
    W

Any and all info welcome and appreciated.

Tks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by hyperhad; May 31st, 2015 at 00:20.
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: PH Wolf

Mikrolisk would suggest perhaps Marchand-Monnier for Elem, which would tie in with the likely date of the watch. Nicely finished movement though.
    eri231, hyperhad and busmatt like this.

Among results for Wolf was Aureole, registered to the very same Ph. Wolf. Further search for Aureole shows up an interesting link between Ph. Wolf, Aureole and Vertex.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    hyperhad and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

On the basis of the shape of the balance cock and the exact positioning of geartrain and screws, I suspect it may well be a bridge modification (or a precursor - mainspring click is of the older type) of this Adolf Michel movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AM 220

Hartmut Richter
    hyperhad and busmatt like this.

Thank you all for your replies. I have so much to learn. I think, perhaps, that I need to narrow greatly, the scope of my collection. I currently have too many watches of different type. I fear I was too enthusiastic when I began collecting, a rookie mistake!

Thanks again.
    busmatt likes this.

Well, that's up to you. You call it "too many watches of different type", but one as well can call it diversification.
    busmatt likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Point taken mkws. I do like them all. I tend towards the vintage, pre 80's era. That will likely become my focus, with a military sidebar in the same era. Here is a nice vintage Omega:
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

That's a beauty... Dates to circa 1929. The movement serial is for 1928- the 7 million mark would already be 1929, but since the case has the higher serial for 1929, then that's the year of manufacture. I wonder whether the hands are correct or not, I'd associate that type of them with watches from late 1930s (and all the way until mid-1959s), but since they appear to be the correct length, I think it's OK. Nice case- the tonneau(I think it's more of a tonneau than cushion- I might be wrong though) shape really matches up with the round dial. Find a nice strap, and it'll be a great piece to wear!
    busmatt likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

I do like this one. It is my oldest Omega. I have corrected the date in my files. I agree it looks more like a tonneau case. I wear this one. I understand it has a nice movement: 26.5 SOB. There is an old watch repair guy where I live. He serviced it a few years ago, and commented on the quality of the movement. He works on Omega's, and my first watch purchase was from him, his personal, all original including strap, Constellation pie-pan dial officially certified Chronometer, with flush-mounted winder at 4 O'Clock. It is a beauty, and I wear it often.
    What about the hands makes you think they may not be original?

Tks!
    busmatt likes this.

The shape of them looks kind of odd with this dial. Something like "cathedral" style hands is what I would expect. And, as I've said, that type of hands was more common much later. However, it's just my opinion, and as I've said, they are of correct length, so they're likely to be correct for this watch. Generally, when I have any doubts, even if they are really inconsiderable, I share them in order to be of help. I don't think these hands are anything to be concerned about- there is also almost no possibility of checking that in any sources anyway. It's not a Constellation or a Seamaster, where a dozen things can be wrong(and aren't always easy to notice).
    busmatt likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information