Photoluminescent Powder For Re-Luming - White Powder, Different Colours for Night
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 28A
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Photoluminescent Powder For Re-Luming - White Powder, Different Colours for Night

28A

Photoluminescent Powder For Re-Luming - White Powder, Different Colours for Night

Hi fellas,

After doing some more research on different possible ways to relume a "radium" dial, i've just come across someone using photoluminescent powder and resin to make a hardwood table glow in the dark by filling in the voids with the resin and powder. After doing some googling, i came across a couple of websites that sell this powder.

The powder appears a whitish light grey during the day, and can glow all sorts of colours at night.

I distinctly remember reading a thread from Adam about original Radium being an off white / grey colour during the day but glowing bright green at night.

Has anyone experimented with this stuff? If radium was grey to begin with, perhaps this could give a real authentic look to a trench watch with a grey numbers and green glow at night.. just like they were from the factory?

Here's some pictures from Glow products,glow stone - Realglow.

If this aint like original radium green, i don't know what is

Addictedtowatches likes this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Re: Photoluminescent Powder For Re-Luming - White Powder, Different Colours for Night

Hi Nick,

Quote Originally Posted by 28A View Post
    If radium was grey to begin with, perhaps this could give a real authentic look to a trench watch with a grey numbers and green glow at night.. ...
    The radium doping doesn't affect the color, and even the pigment of radium lume, often zinc sulphide, leaves a pretty limited contribution to the color. ZnS powder has an undefinable color between yellow, green, and grey, and as soon as mixed with a binding lacquer the junctions between lacquer and pigment contributes more to the color than the pigment itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 28A View Post
    .... just like they were from the factory?
    Now the question is: What is the look like from the factory? Neither radium nor the fast aging lacquers from back then are an option today, and tinting the lume to look like aged radium compound is simply a fake. I regard it only as reasonable if flaked off fractions of the old lume shall be added.

For a complete relume I simply don't mind how the aged rests of the lume looked like. I only take this color to get an idea, whether and how the lacquer was tinted from factory to hide the somewhat dirty looking pigment (yellowish and bright green were common). In most cases the color of modern strontium aluminate pigments allow such tinting, and I prefer this for the bright and long re-emission, since I can't have the permanent glow from radium anyway. Only if the aged lume indicates that it was not tinted, I take ZnS pigment for its pale (although dirty looking) color.

Finally it is simply a matter of taste, how to replace the original if it is not avalable, or at least not recommandable from health point of view.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; February 1st, 2015 at 16:58.
    bobbee likes this.

28A

Re: Photoluminescent Powder For Re-Luming - White Powder, Different Colours for Night

Hi Roland,

I was simply thinking that if one were to relume a trench watch dial, for an authentic look the options are either:

1. A brownish orange to replicate the aged radium.
    2. Whatever the radium looked like, on the day it was painted on.

I am 99.9% sure that Adam (HOROLOGIST007) said in a thread that radium originally was a greyish colour.

That got me thinking, if one were to relume a dial with a greyish powder, that glowed green at night (like the above), would that not also be an authentic re-lume?

I know lots of guys tint the lume powder with brown pigments to make it look like the aged patina'd radium.. but what about doing it more along the lines of a restoration to something close to what the radium may have looked like brand new?
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Thread Information