Piaget Vintage 1960- opinion sought on provenance
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Piaget Vintage 1960- opinion sought on provenance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Piaget Vintage 1960- opinion sought on provenance

All, I have been offered a vintage Piaget watch for €600 but no idea how to know if fake or real. Woudl anyone have an opinion based on pictures attached- its supposed to be 18ct gold 1960s with just the strap changes from original. No warranty card with it but can see serial number etc. I love the watch as have a slim wrist sand this is 5mm depth and 34mm case size. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Piaget Vintage 1960- opinion sought on provenance

The photos are really terrible. That said, the one thing that stands out the most is the SS back, which would usually go with a gold-plated or gold-filled case. So unless you see a hallmark on the case, I suspect that it is not 18k. I would not want to make any statements about authenticity without sharper photos. If those were provided by the seller, you might wonder why he gave you such blurry and out-of-focus photos.

Unless I'm mistaken, the movement appears to be a Peseux 320/325, which is often used in fakes. However, I suppose it's possible that Piaget used them; maybe you can research that.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Interesting, but it's giving me the 'willies', I'd pass. It looks too thick to be a Piaget of that era.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks Dan- I had asked for better photos and received just now these attached which show a cog stamped Piaget.

Seller also messaged:
    Thanks for the reply. Attached 4 photographs with clear PIAGET signs on the the movement and inside back case.
    18ct gold filled watches tend to have stainless steel backs, pure gold are gold throughout. This is gold filled as per the description.
    There is no warranty card on a watch of this age.
    In addition, Piaget of this quality command high prices, check out chrono 24.

Name:  s-l1600 (12).jpg
Views: 99
Size:  130.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (11).jpg
Views: 98
Size:  100.0 KBName:  s-l1600 (10).jpg
Size:  109.7 KB

I wonder if he has any swamp land for sale as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtrad View Post
    Many thanks Dan- I had asked for better photos and received just now these attached which show a cog stamped Piaget.

Seller also messaged:
    Thanks for the reply. Attached 4 photographs with clear PIAGET signs on the the movement and inside back case.
    18ct gold filled watches tend to have stainless steel backs, pure gold are gold throughout. This is gold filled as per the description.
    There is no warranty card on a watch of this age.
    In addition, Piaget of this quality command high prices, check out chrono 24.

Name:  s-l1600 (12).jpg
Size:  130.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (11).jpg
Size:  100.0 KBName:  s-l1600 (10).jpg
Size:  109.7 KB

yes hence me asking here. I currently wear a Swatch skin watch and my wife wants to buy me a watch post wedding, thin wrist so thin smaller diameter classy 1960s/1970s like this would fit the bill but not being a watch expert and be fairly aware how scammy things can be, thought I would ask opinions first from the fine folk here.

Without taking too much of your valuable time - i'm sure many on here ask this what would be the 3 main things that scream ........ at you?

One main thing, I first checked out Piaget on Nov. 7th, 1961 and this thing doesn't jive.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtrad View Post
    Without taking too much of your valuable time - i'm sure many on here ask this what would be the 3 main things that scream ........ at you?

Someone posted a fake JLC on omegaforums the other day with the same movement and "LECOULTRE" engraved in the movement (https://omegaforums.net/threads/fake-jlc.85324/), so the PIAGET in the movement doesn't convince me of anything. Also, the continually blurry photos are really disconcerting. If it were me, I would just move on. However, perhaps there is a member that has more specific knowledge about PIAGET (which I do not). I would have expected an in-house movement, but perhaps during this era, Piaget's quality had degraded and they were making some entry level GF pieces with outsourced ebauches.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Many thanks both.

yes the movement appears to be a Prisma PESEUX 320 - F7-08 which is odd for a brand like this unless they had some real quality issues during that period. Also the Piaget branding on the cog rather than the bridge is pretty suspicious. I guess below is much more reflective of a Piaget movement- see the quality difference.

Name:  1.JPG
Size:  74.0 KB
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information