Picked up this Gallet chrono this weekend - thoughts?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Picked up this Gallet chrono this weekend - thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picked up this Gallet chrono this weekend - thoughts?

Hi all,

Went to a NAWCC swap meet in Indiana on Saturday and picked up this Gallet Chronograph for a song ($120)!

The case has seen better days, the dial is rather good. I can't see a serial number and there is no swiss mark on the bottom of the dial that I can see without taking it apart, but not sure it's there. The movement is a Venus 188 and it actually keeps time.

The case w/o crown is around 34mm and wears bigger than it is - see pic (I have 7.25 inch wrist).

Thoughts on what I should do with it? Should I get it restored or trade it to my watchmaker who's already interested?

As always, thanks ahead of time!!!

Ed

Name:  Gallet front low res.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  Gallet inside case back low res.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  Gallet watch back low res.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  967.8 KB

Name:  Gallet on wrist low res.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  1.05 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pensandwatches; February 22nd, 2016 at 03:25. Reason: double pix

Re: Picked up this Gallet chrono this weekend - thoughts?

If that damage at the bottom of the dial is just a battered crystal and dirt, then I suppose that what the watch will need is a new crystal, movement COA, and possibly replating the case. Unless you like the way the case is battered. Since it's a plated case, I would advise not to wear it on a Speidel bracelet- or any other bracelet for that matter. You wouldn't want to get the lugs damaged...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the reply. How rare is this watch and I believe it to be a lower end Gallet, correct? Does anyone think this is worth restoring?

Ed

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As to rarity, I can't help you- maybe our resident Gallet aficionados can.

Yep, sort of lower end- plated case, cam-switched Venus (not that that's anything bad, the 188 is a good movement)... The ones on the other end would have a column wheel Excelsior Park movement and a full stainless steel case.

Do I believe that it's worth restoring? At the price you've bought it for? Of course it is. Keep in mind, that a restoration won't bump the value up to what a specimen in a really good condition goes for, but if you want to keep it and wear it- why not restore? Just keep the dial and hands as they are.
    Tucayjordan likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

That's what I was thinking too. I can get the case replated (or not - haven't made up my mind yet), have the movement serviced and keep the rest as they are.

I've done some research and based on the 'net, I haven't seen any Gallet's with a red chrono second hand and this type of hour and minute hands. Does any one know if these may be original? When I was buying the watch, they were good enuf to me to not question them until I searched online. Others at the NAWCC club also thought they could be original, but I have my doubts.

Would be really cool if they are originals. They look like they could belong on the watch and the red pops a bit.

Great looking watch, congratulations! The only thing that stands out to me is the color of the lume on the indices(if that indeed is lume) and the color of the lume on the hands doesn't quite match.

But even if the hour and minute hands are a slightly later addition i still think they fit really well, and i wouldn't hesitate wearing that watch.

If all else fails, hold onto that Venus 188, i may need a spare part or two for my own 188 that's in the shop right now(praying i won't though)! ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello P&W,
    Thanks for the PM, though I'll just answer here. That is definitely an older model, not only because of the V188, but of the use of serif font style on the logo. I would think mid 1940's at the latest?

If you like the watch, then definitely get it restored. There are houses that do replating, I can give you the contact of the person who I think can do this. Of course, replating is the last step in what is basically a full strip and sanding of the existing case. A good amount of labor goes into a good job.

Yes, Gallet made chronos with Red hands, although they are not very common. Here's a couple from my archives:

Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    That is definitely an older model, not only because of the V188, but of the use of serif font style on the logo. I would think mid 1940's at the latest?
    The Venus 188 was introduced in 1948, so the watch can't be from before that. That would be late 1940s.
    DragonDan likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Very cool that the red chrono second is original!!!

The balance wheel has no shock protection (see pic below), so that may also indicate late forties.

Attachment 7186010

Thanks for all your info guys - I think I'll get her restored because if I don't I'll always wonder what it would be like to have it fully functional and wear it. You don't come across these every day (or year for that matter). Reason enough for me :)
    Last edited by pensandwatches; February 24th, 2016 at 03:01.

You have a Gallet Multichon 45 from about 1950 (you can tell from the serif logo on the dial). I've seen the red seconds hand in that shape on other Gallet watches so I wouldn't worry about that. You got a great deal. Not sure of the production run on these watches but in good shape they are desirable if not rare. Fixing it up won't be cheap but you'll have more watch than you paid for when you're done. Oh and don't feel like you need to plate this. These were almost always done in stainless. If you don't want the challenge of fixing it up, feel free to drop me a note. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information