WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Picked up a Gruen bumper.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gatorcpa 
#1 · (Edited)
I clearly have a problem with vintage watches. Perhaps it's a fever?

Bought this at a recent flea market.
I like Gruen, and was surprised when I opened it up, it's a bumper movement. I think it's marked 460.
The diameter is 30mm

I am not brave enough to fix anything myself.
I could not get it to work by winding it, however when I prodded the balance wheel with a pin, it rocked back and forth merrily and kept time for about ten minutes.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

See less See more
Reactions: howards4th
#2 ·
Looks like this movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Gruen 460

It also looks like the bar spring to press down the movement by pushing against the case back has gone and been replaced with an old minute hand! The way it points, it further looks as if you are not getting 100% winding out of it - the hand is in the way of the bumper (it should point a little more towards the two spiral springs).....

Hartmut Richter

#4 ·
Congrats you your find...

Aesthetically, its looking in very good condition and I love the hand design (not the one screwed to the movement ;-) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#5 ·
That is a nice one; simple and clean styling. The hand style has a name but it is presently slipping my mind. You should be able to obtain an inexpensive parts movement and use it to scavenge for the correct parts. eBay should be obvious. These interchange almost completely with the Gruen cal 462. I've been told that the bridle in the 460 are susceptible to breaking.

My 460ss says hello. I've two others on the bench waiting attention.

Attachments

#9 ·
congrats on a nice watch:-!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.