Pics and Q's about my '21 Elgin and my ? Hamilton

Thread: Pics and Q's about my '21 Elgin and my ? Hamilton

Pics and Q's about my '21 Elgin and my ? Hamilton

I inherited two pocket watches from my grandfather. Spent a few bucks having hem serviced, as he has had him in his drawer for about 50 years. One is supposedly my great grandfathers RR watch. I assume it is the Hamilton, but am not sure. My Elgin has blue hands, and a search of the serial # gives me this info:

Serial Number SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
    -------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
    24022594 24020001 3000 1921 313 16s o3n7p 15j e

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
    ----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
    313 524000 278 1903 1935 110 16s o3n7p 15j

So, I can gather that 3,000 were made total, and mine was a 1921 model produced from 1903-1935.
    It is size 16s (What is the s for?) 16 is pretty standard right? There are 15 jewels, and I think the code pwn3s me.
    Other than that, does the other information make sense to anyone here?
    I love the blue hands on this watch, and it appears to have extra detailing on the movement.
    Any idea who may have done this? The jeweler who sold the watch?

As for my Hamilton, here is the # from the movement:c1129831
    It is a Railway Specal, with 21 Jewels. Model 992B, and temp adjusted at 6 positions.
    That is the only information I can gather, so lets move on to the pictures.

Sorry, but the pictures are the best I could do with the point and shoot.

Hope my boring ol watches aren't taking up too much of your time.
    Thanks in advance for any other information you can give me.

Pocket: 1921 Elgin 313 / 1946 Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Wrist: Omega Speedmaster Date (3210.50), Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time,Seiko Spirit SCVS0123, Fortis Pilot Pro PVD, Armani Dress, Swatch Irony Auto Skeleton, Victorinox Chrono Classic, Victorinox Maverick II.

Re: Pics and Q's about my '21 Elgin and my ? Hamilton

Oh, and here is some info about the condition of these watches. The hamilton looks great to me. The back of the case is a little wavy, but practically a mirror finish with only a few brush like scratches. The dial is also looking fantastic to me. Could it have been redone? My grandfather says he never really touched it in his 50 years of owning it. The front crystal must have been replaced. For being a cheap plastic, it has no impurities to my naked eye. I am sure if I ran these under 10x magnification plenty of fun things would show up.

The Elgin isn't quite as lucky. There is a 3 letter monogram and decoration on the back, but the extra fine detailing (Think of the texture patterns on a dollar bill) is wearing down towards the edge of the case. The case has a tiny dent about 1mm on it, as well as a scratch or two. The dial? Superb, but it is hard to see through the scratched plastic. Ok, it isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. At least the hands a a pretty shade of blue.

Wrist: Omega Speedmaster Date (3210.50), Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time,Seiko Spirit SCVS0123, Fortis Pilot Pro PVD, Armani Dress, Swatch Irony Auto Skeleton, Victorinox Chrono Classic, Victorinox Maverick II.

They BOTH look beautiful to me! I doubt if the dials were refinished. They are usually enamel and damage is usually cracking and chipping but these show no signs of that in my viewing of the photos.

These watches were very expensive in their day... enjoy them!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK here's the lowdown on your watches.
    The Elgin is a 16S 15 jewel Grade 313 made in 1921. I have a 313 myself.
    16S refers to the size of the watch and is a rather arcane measurement called the Lancashire gauge system. All you need to know is that most large pocket watches from the 1860s to the early 1900s were 18S. They were replaced in most situations by the slightly smaller 16S by 1905 or so. The 16S size stayed around as the railroader's watch until the 1950s. Men's watches went down smaller in the 1920s and 1930s - mostly to 12S.
    The Elgin is a nice watch - good movement but nothing special. Easy to fix because Elgin made over half a million of them.
    Now the Hamilton - it's to die for. Grade 992B. The finest model of railroad watch by the finest American maker. Made in 1946. An absolute beauty and a joy of a watch to have. I had my grandfather's Hamilton 992B and I've passed it on to my son-in-law as a treasured family heirloom.
    Note that you have had them serviced. I originally advised you to do just that, so you are ahead of me.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 29th, 2008 at 17:48.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Awesome, thank you for the information. I am excited that the Hamilton is a worthy watch. These will all be passed on in my will, and I might even run into my house if it was on fire to save them.

Is winding them once a month enough? When should I get them serviced again if a maintenance wind is all I do?

If they've been serviced and you wind them once in a while and keep them in a case they'll likely go 10 years without another service. If you use them regularly I'd say every 5 years or so. If you wind them once a month they'll be fine but it won't hurt to do it more often. Those watches were made to run.
    The Elgin is also a worthy watch but the Hamilton is something very special.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

No, I am just trying to take care of them, so the next generation can take care of them. I have no need to carry them around. My gf actually gave me a shadowbox style display for them, but I can't figure out how to get them to hang in it.

A couple of ideas:
    http://fletch.web66.com/watchstands.html
    http://www.antique-pocket-watch.com/...play-case.html
    The glass globe is really nice if you can get a fancy watch chain or fob to attach to the watch.
    http://www.oldfathertime.com/watchchains.htm
    or look on eBay for antique ones.

Thread Information