Pie Pan Connie with Patina

Thread: Pie Pan Connie with Patina

Pie Pan Connie with Patina

I am aware that buying pie-pan Connies on eBay is a venture fraught with peril, due to the large number of fakes and frankenwatches out there. To be honest, I've never actually dared to bid for one because of this, and meanwhile I've been trying to identify the more overt fakes on eBay using Desmond Guilfoyle's excellent blog as a guide.

So just by chance I happened across this pie-pan with a fair amount of patina on eBay that caught my eye. It's said to be a 168.005, cal 561. I've attached pictures from the seller.

I've used Desmond G's Connie authenticity checklist and also his list of 'red flags' for cases to try to check this one out, with the knowledge that 168.005's are often faked. I've also double-checked with the OVD and with Dr Ranfft's movement database.

My questions for the experts would be:
    a) real or fake or franken? (my initial impression is real, but I'm not experienced enough in Connies!)
    b) is the dial patina acceptable? I realize this is very subjective, but I was (perhaps naively) attracted by it, as I thought it was reasonably even
    c) any other opinions about the watch - dial, crown, caseback etc? (does the case look overpolished?)

I apologize that the pictures aren't as high-resolutions as I'd like but that's what the seller's putting up.

Any opinions would be helpful - thanks everyone!
    Name:  Con front.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  134.1 KBName:  Con oblique.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  107.2 KBName:  Con Back.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  109.9 KBName:  Con caseback.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  128.7 KBName:  Con movt.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  133.5 KB
    Last edited by NT931; December 28th, 2012 at 16:17. Reason: wrong hyperlink provided

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Pie Pan Connie with Patina

Definitely a franken!!! The rotor and automatic winding bridge are much shinier than the rest of the movement. Most certainly a sign of "differential ageing"!

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Hartmut! I missed that red flag.

Are there any other features which suggest a Franken? I was initially thinking the case looked too polished for the patina-ed dial, but I had put it down to overzealous polishing. There are probably other 'tells' or 'red flags' that I've missed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You'll have to ask an Omega expert for that. I presume that in principle, the movement is original to the watch type in question so it is just a matter of mixing up parts from a jumble of identical watches. You may possibly have a serial number mismatch (case and movement) and things like that but at least the movement should fit the case then and all those things.

Hartmut Richter

looks like a franken for me as well.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information